AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I, with the s/pdif input on my Delta DIO card, record the input PCM audio from an audio CD to a wav file (to my hard drive)?

Specifically I would like to know if it's possible to record from an audio CD to 48kHz wav.

anyone? Cliff?

TIA,

-anders.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The CD will output a 44.1 spdif signal, which the M-Audio cards are fully capable of accepting as input. Any reasonable recording program should allow you to do this, although things like input level etc probably won't be operational.

The 48kHz is a separate issue. The card itself will not perform sample-rate conversion from 44.1->48. You will either need to record it and save it as 44.1, and then convert it after-the-fact, or search out a recording program that will do the sample rate conversion on the fly.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I can recommend Cool Edit 2000 made by Syntrillium.

Record a wav file with 48kHz sample frequency and convert to

44.1kHz with the resample function.

The result is very good and the program is really worth every $.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Why the heck should anyone bother recording to 48khz first then resampling to 44.1 if using SPDIF on a non-AC97 compatible card????

When using Delta Dio you'll get worse results if you record to 48 then resample instead of 44.1...

·
Registered
586 Posts
Has anyone else noticed poor spdif recording quality with the .31 beta drivers. I have Windows XP SP1 and a Delta Dio, and ever since installing the new drivers recording tv programs through ATI's v7.7 mmc generates files that sound tinny, speach is distorted and it sounds like my tweaters are ringing with every 'sss' or 'th' sound.

I didnt have the problem with the .27 drivers, anyone know what's up? Is it a config problem? (Why i put up with this card, i will never know. One year of ownership, one year of sound card head aches. every HTPC related 'problem' i've experienced has been with the audio.)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lucpes
Why the heck should anyone bother recording to 48khz first then resampling to 44.1 if using SPDIF on a non-AC97 compatible card????

One scenario I can imagine is to transfer music from DVD to

a CD...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well. I ended up using Adobe Premiere to resample a 44.1kHz source to 48kHz. This did a very good job.

FYI, I'm not doing this for any other reason than I need some good sounding 48kHz source PCM data for an encoder I'm designing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.