AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a way to play xbox 360 in HD on my TV while recording the video content to my PC in 16:9 WIDESCREEN . I understand the content on the PC will not be in true High Definition. My search has led me to this device, the Hava Titanium HD WIFI:

http://myhava.com/product_hava_titanium_hd.html

Does anyone have any experience with this type of product? Various internet searches have given me sketchy info and not too many clear details.

This also acts as a slingbox type device but you can also record TV content to your PC.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Many PC tuners have composite in. I use the Autumn Wave GT for a number recordings via composite. Even the analog only TV Wonder has composite in and I use it for security cameras.

·
Registered
578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard713 /forum/post/15461343

You could try this : http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

It does record in high definition and surround sound.

Now that is one gutsy company, throwing gasoline on a fire like that.

To the OP, one of these boxes will allow you to record gaming sessions, but you will need a component splitter also, so that you can have the output go to the TV and this Hauppauge box also. Many folks cheap out on component splitters, using a simple 'Y' cable. These mostly do not work, though there are some TVs or other devices that work to some degree with them. A real active splitter is what is needed, such as:

http://www.inday.com/hdda2/hdda2.htm

Edit: I see from the specs on the Hauppauge box, that it actually does have 'loop thru', eliminating the need for a splitter.

Before anyone starts this up again, I'll say it no unequivocal terms, there is only one way to get 2 simultaneous video outputs from the 360 and that is standard def for composite and component both. There is no way to get high def and standard def on different outputs at the same time. And no, you cannot do it with HDMI and component. If the 360 detects an active connection on HDMI at power up, that over-rides any other AV cable connected and it will not output component, composite, SCART, VGA or anything else for that matter, save for optical and analog audio.

P.J.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
You can get a hdmi splitter and a hi def capture card that captures hdmi. Or a video camera aimed at your tv. Or possibly a stand alone dvd burner.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I had the hauppauge and the quality is great, but it was a pain to convert it into a format that could be edited and shared.

I returned it and got a hava. The video quality is not as good but it's easy to edit for the most part and it's much cheaper.

·
Registered
16,859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard713 /forum/post/15461343

You could try this : http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

Does this box have some internal storage or does it require a PC connection/external hard drive ? I did not see any mention of internal storage so I would assume it is not a standalone device .

- Jason

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkcusD /forum/post/15466550

I had the hauppauge and the quality is great, but it was a pain to convert it into a format that could be edited and shared.

I returned it and got a hava. The video quality is not as good but it's easy to edit for the most part and it's much cheaper.

I've read about the hauppauge too. I've seen some online videos from it and the quality is definitely pretty awesome. I'm considering it too. However, I'm concerned about a) it being a pain in the behind to setup and use; and b) the video files might take up too much space on my computer's hard drive.

The Hava seems like the way to go for me, as I'm looking for decent quality widescreen recordings while playing in HD in a simple set up. I know the recording on the PC will be slightly delayed and that doesn't matter to me.

I'll probably do some more research before pulling the trigger. Thanks for all the input so far.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
no internal storage, its basically a component input H.264 hd encoder. you can adjust the bitrate from 1 Mbs - 13.5 Mbs.

you can burn about 1 hr to a standard dvdr and the ps3 will play it as a blu-ray.

you have to download the latestest driver release for the 5.1 audio recording to work.

·
Registered
16,859 Posts
Hmmm , $250 for an HD capture/encoder seems a bit steep but I guess when you compare it to what has been available to do the same thing it becomes more of a bargain

So can you just plug in an external hard drive to the USB connection ( or does it have to be connected directly to a PC ) ?

Thanks ,

- Jason

·
Registered
1,987 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp /forum/post/15468039

Hmmm , $250 for an HD capture/encoder seems a bit steep but I guess when you compare it to what has been available to do the same thing it becomes more of a bargain

So can you just plug in an external hard drive to the USB connection ( or does it have to be connected directly to a PC ) ?

Thanks ,

- Jason

It's not actually that bad for a hardware mpeg4 encoding solution. In fact, I'm not aware of any consumer or prosumer grade hardware mpeg4 encoding capture devices. The black magic series that does HD component and HDMI capture, does not do mpeg4 or any hardware encoding at all. Only the very fastest CPUs today could encode a full HD stream to mpeg 4, in real time.

The Hauppauge HDPVR cannot host USB drives. It only acts as a device to a PC host. The PC host receives the mpeg4 transport stream from the HDPVR and writes it to a file on the PC. Since the bit rate is only 1-13 Mbps, it's no stretch to transfer over USB and record to PC's hard drive.

P.J.

·
Registered
16,859 Posts
Sounds good , thanks for the info guys

- Jason

1 - 14 of 14 Posts