AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So the title says all... I inadvertently deleted 3 .ts files from my HTPC's dedicated DVR hard drive. Does anyone here know of any good freeware or open-source solution(s) for data recovery of deleted files that will:

A. work with WinXP, and

B. be able to recover large files (i.e. >4GB)?

Any feedback or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck /forum/post/19563390

Norton USED to be able to recover files using an UNERASE function

I might have access to that version of Norton at work (I think it was part of their Systemworks Premier suite, IIRC).

I should also add (before anyone asks) that the following conditions do apply to my situation:

1. The hard disk which contains the deleted files is in sound physical condition.

2. There have been no subsequent writes to the disk since the accidental file deletion.

·
Registered
250 Posts
this is one of the only reasons i find myself torrenting...

accidental deletion (not rare with kids running the remote) or botched recording (rare) or messed up recording when stripping commercials from file (also rare)

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
+1 for Runtime's Get Data Back not free but it works. And ++1 for DI XML It is free and it works every time (unlike Acronis).

BB

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Just to be clear, I'll add a couple points.

1. I do have a backup routine for my home PCs, including the HTPC. But I only run backups on the system drive, not on the DVR drives, which is where I lost my data.

2. I've looked at several data recovery tools that were recommended in this thread, but none of them could detect, let alone recover, the very large deleted .ts files I'm trying to restore. But for smaller files (i.e. text documents, photos, etc.) they work well.

I'm trying to get back several big (appx. 6.5GB) .ts files and, so far, none of the data recovery tools I've tried seem to be up to the task. So I figured that if someone has ever successfully done this, he or she would be someone who reads this forum.

Anyway, I really do appreciate the discussion. Keep the ideas coming, thanks

·
Registered
537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler /forum/post/19575330

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Just to be clear, I'll add a couple points.

1. I do have a backup routine for my home PCs, including the HTPC. But I only run backups on the system drive, not on the DVR drives, which is where I lost my data.

2. I've looked at several data recovery tools that were recommended in this thread, but none of them could detect, let alone recover, the very large deleted .ts files I'm trying to restore. But for smaller files (i.e. text documents, photos, etc.) they work well.

I'm trying to get back several big (appx. 6.5GB) .ts files and, so far, none of the data recovery tools I've tried seem to be up to the task. So I figured that if someone has ever successfully done this, he or she would be someone who reads this forum.

Anyway, I really do appreciate the discussion. Keep the ideas coming, thanks

i ran into a similar situation a few months back and unfortunately i wasn't able to find a recovery tool which could retrieve files larger than 4gb in size. the folders were detected but the actual files were lost.

Sorry i was of no farther help.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNkLorD /forum/post/19576178

i ran into a similar situation a few months back and unfortunately i wasn't able to find a recovery tool which could retrieve files larger than 4gb in size. the folders were detected but the actual files were lost.

Sorry i was of no farther help.

No, don't apologize. This is not critical data or anything, just a couple of TV shows

I am just wondering, from an "academic" viewpoint, primarily, if such a recovery is possible. This is exactly what I'm after in the discussion - the actual experiences of those who have tried, whether they were successful or not. I'm wondering if it's possible, because one day it may be critical data in the multi-GB filesize range that I need to save, i.e. an image backup file of a large partition with a system OS.

So thank you for contributing to this thread.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.