AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations on 42 inch plasmas that have less screen reflections than the Panasonic TH-42PZ80U?

Are the screens on the other 42" Panys or the Pioneer 4280/950s any less reflective?

Wife realizes picture better than Samsung 4061 LCD but "can see room reflections on Pany screen".

Many thanks!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I shopped 42" plasmas extensively and never found a screen better for muting reflections than the Panasonic PX or PZ '08 models.

The 4280 might be comparable but I definitely won't say it's better.

Swarmi sez a LCD is in your future (wife always wins).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I need a Pany plasma with antiglare screen coating! (or I'm stuck with an LCD for sure)

Does the 800 have it?

I will check with Panasonic.

Anyone compared the Pioneers to the Panys for glare? They're both great but I think I slightly prefer the Pioneer pq.

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videodoc /forum/post/14279793

Yes, I need a Pany plasma with antiglare screen coating! (or I'm stuck with an LCD for sure)
Does the 800 have it?

Anyone compared the Pioneers to the Pannys for glare? They're both great but I think I slightly prefer the Pioneer pq.

The PZ800U has the same Anti-Reflective screen as the PZ80U and is just as reflective as all the other current Panasonic models. The Pioneers are also reflective but the reflections are somewhat "darker". And the Pioneer has a single piece of glass so when you see a lamp reflected in the screen it's a single reflection, while on the Panasonics you see the actual lamp and a kinda ghost shadow on the inner glass so the Pioneer's reflections are a little less obvious. You really have to go to a Best Buy store and do your own critical comparisons.

If you want LCD-like anti-reflectivity then you'll have to find a leftover PZ77U as it had the very effective Anti-Glare screen.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
The problem with the Panasonics anti-glare plasmas is that they don't look so great. Definitely check one out in the store before you get one. Honestly many LCDs will look better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great info and suggestions. Thanks!

According to Panny web site the 42PC77U and 42PX77U have antiglare coating, 42PZ700U antireflective coating and all the others antireflective filters.

I will try to see them and compare.

Compared the 42PZ80 (out of the box) and Samsung 4061 (calibrated via AVS forum and DVE) while watching Planet Earth BD. The Samsung totally missed the impact of a tunnel scene slowly fading to black. I need a plasma!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts