AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to use this thread to catalogue my HT build progress and look for ideas to continue to make it better!

This room was a junk room on the main living floor. The rib was happy to let me convert it but said I couldn't take the closet out =( so my effective floor area is about 15x11.

New Equipment:

Epson 6100

DIY 114" DW laminate screen

Monoprice HDMI switcher

Monoprice cables

PS3 (coming soon)

Old Equipment:

Harmon Kardon AVR430

Infinity Primus bookshelf speakers and center channel

Infinity subwoofer

Toshiba HD-DVD A3

Charter HD cable/DVR

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First, I am very happy with the picture and surround sound.

I am really struggling with a few things:

1. What to do with the ceiling - ideas?

2. What to do about lighting - So many rooms are in basements with flat or tre ceilings then you put cans down the sides and rope lights in the soffits.

3. What to do about seating - 2 rows of berklines really don't fit. 1 row of 88's with a loveseat would leave a 20" walkway.

4. What to do about acoustical treatments

So far I've done everything myself (including electrical - adding the projector outlet and putting in a lutron IR dimmer).

·
Registered
272 Posts
Most people are very hesitant to do it, but I would suggest you paint your ceiling black. Look for a paint called "Micky Mouse Black". I think that is what it is called. It's about the nicest black I've seen. Making the ceiling black will really enhance the room as a home theater. It will also prevent any secondary reflection from hitting your screen. Use the same black to paint over all the items you currently have as white. The door, trim, etc... Keep the ceiling fan. It will help keep the room cool. You will be surprised how hot your theater room will become in the first hour of watching.

Nice job by the way!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd like to do something with the ceiling since it has the unique shape. More than just black. I've thought about doing a space scene or night sky and somehow getting black lights to shine on it. Could use wallpaper or hire a local artist. Part of the problem is the fan is in the line of sight from the seating to the ceiling. I've thought about doing a drop ceiling but doesnt have the WAF.

Putting this thread up has helped me realize I need to do in-wall speakers on the rears. It would really make it A LOT easier to get a row of 4 Berkline's in there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.