AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a tv that has an RCA audio output, but the volume isn't controlled by the remote control (it needs an amplifier). I'm trying to connect headphones to a cheap amplifier connected to this output.

I've found a cheap audio amplifier on eBay, but it takes an RCA input, and has a red / black speaker wire output.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2CH-TA2020-Home-...item2308245ee7

Is there a way I can connect headphones to this?

I know that a 3.5mm headphone jack has 3 wires: left, right, and a shared ground. I've searched Google for hours, but can't seem to figure this out.

·
Registered
384 Posts
First, I'd go back and find a cheap amp with a headphone out connection, but if you've already bought that one you can do this. Wait! Isn't that hole marked "MP3" your headphone connection?

·
Registered
384 Posts
It'd be difficult to get stereo sound to the headphones from two sets of speaker connections. One side, easy. Two sides and have them go to your appropriate ear? Unless there are four conductors in a headphone lead - I don't think so.

Get a extender cable and cut into the male end to see what you get. If there ARE four wires then it could probably be connected but the impedences of those outputs won't play nice with your headphones so it's really an overcomplicated idea to try and it's pretty easy to cook off an output chip or transistor, so just don't.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
The biggest issue is that the amp outputs speaker level so listening with headphones will make the ambient amp hiss much more apparent.

Here is the easiest way to use this amp. Go to Rad Shack and but a stereo mini extension cable (male to female). Many of the cheap single jacket cables use a Formvar insulated conductor that cannot be removed. You need a cable that has actual plastic insulated wires in them. There will be a black- (ground or common) a red (right channel) and a white (left channel )conductor. The 2 black connections on the amp are ganged together so you can use either one. Then attach the red and whit wires to the appropriate terminals. Keep the gain VERY low.

If the background hiss from the amp is too annoying, let me know and I can design a little resistor network for you to drop the level to a more appropriate level.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.