AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I got a Samsung 42" (PN42A450) about a year and a half ago. It's ALWAYS had some serious IR problems. I do a lot of gaming, but I'm super careful about mixing content in, and keeping the settings reasonable. But regardless, the TV is quite a headache and ridiculously delicate.

Anyhow, in the past month or two I started to notice a "red splotch" that is only noticeable against dark images (seems to retain any bright image like the settings menus in that area). I've played with the settings a lot, and it seems that bumping up the brightness helps (basically by turning the black pixels into a brighter temperature seems to make the red go away). I turned off black adjusting as it seemed to make things worse.

One thing that baffles me is that after a while of use (2 hours +) it seems to go away... until the next day...

So I don't think it's actual burn-in, but a pretty bad case of IR.

If this were still within warranty I'd try to get them to change it, but it's just off. I'm running white wash today for a few hours to see if it improves.

Any thoughts on what this might be and how to prevent/work around it? It's incredibly annoying when you keep seeing it pop in during dark scenes.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Some of these Samsung plasmas had an issue known as 'Red Blur'. On dark scenes, a red blurring will occur on the right or left side of the panel. It is resolved by replacing the logic board and making some panel adjustments. Does the red show up on the edges? If this is the problem with your set, I would contact Samsung. If you are just out of warranty, Samsung may help with the repair cost. The 'Red Blur' problem should be fixed by an authorized service center. Good luck and let us know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes! it is on the right edge, and a little on the left edge...

It's so strange bc it goes away some times, and comes back without any pattern that I can replicate.

That makes total sense!

Thanks for your input!!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have your model, and had a similar problem (redness along the lefthand side of the screen, and a red splotch in the lower right corner, would also come and go without any possibility of being caused by IR); a Samsung tech tweaked the voltage (took about two minutes) and the problem went away for good.

As you're out of warranty, that may not be an option for you, though you still could call a service tech and they would probably just charge you their standard fee, as there are no parts replaced and, as mentioned, is a pretty quick process. Though I would not recommend it in your case, it's also feasible enough to do yourself if you're careful, as I paid close attention when the service tech serviced my TV; although I do not know PRECISELY what needs to be done (which direction to tweak, for example), I'm sure I could have done so if I had someone to hand hold me through the process, as I already own a voltage meter. Perhaps someone with experience servicing Samsung models will chime in, or you can pay to ask for a step-by-step process on somewhere like JustAnswer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Greg thanks for your input. I think you were right!

tv guys wanted to charge me $100, so I thought I'd try a few things on my own.

First thing I tried came after thinking about your post and the voltage issue. So I got a nice new powerstrip and plugged the tv to that instead of directly to the wall. guess what, the red blotches are completely gone! for good!

I wonder if it has anything to do with my apartment (rental).

But anyway, thought I'd share my find here, and thanks again for your comment!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts