AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched the widescreen DVD of Star Wars Ep. 2 the other night, and I noticed some strange red dots during the closing credits (chapter 50). Each red dot is the size of a single pixel, and they appear intermittently along the edges of the blue text. The dots were most noticeable when displayed at DVD's native resolution of 720x480, and they were less noticeable when scaled to other resolutions such as 800x600. I have attached a cropped and zoomed image that shows the red dots.

I am playing the DVD on my Windows 98 PC with a 3DFusion DiVA video card (MPACT2 chipset) running the Entertainment Center software by Chromatic Research. I have never seen a problem like this before among hundreds of other DVDs.

Has anyone else seen these red dots?

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am able to completely eliminate the red dots by lowering the player's "Color" setting from -2 to -13. However, this reduces the color saturation of the overall picture as well. So it seems to be a problem with the color space conversion from the DVD's YCbCr to the video card's RGB.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
So your saying that you are calibrating your TV to look good for the ending credits instead of the film itself?

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To remove the red dots I changed the calibration of the player, not the calibration of the display. I am certain that the display is not responsible for the red dots. Perhaps the disc itself is flawed, or the player itself is flawed, and/or the player's calibration is flawed.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I guess my question is who cares about the video quality of the ending credits as long as it's not also present in the film itself. You seem to want to set the DVD player to make the ending credits look good and sacrific the picture quality of the film itself (by reducing the overall color saturation as you say).

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you trying to say.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not necessarily sacrificing the picture quality by reducing the overall color saturation. I may be improving the picture quality. Maybe the red dots appeared because the color saturation was actually set too high overall (i.e., too high for the entire movie). It is still a mystery to me.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by marthalamew0

Erik, 2 words - who cares how the ending credits look. Thank you.
That's more than 2 words. ;)

Anyway, I'm not really concerned about how the ending credits look. My point is that the red dots may be indicating that there is a problem with my player that affects more than just the credits. In other words, the red dots may be a symptom of a general problem that is difficult to detect otherwise.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Erik Garci
That's more than 2 words. ;)

Anyway, I'm not really concerned about how the ending credits look. My point is that the red dots may be indicating that there is a problem with my player that affects more than just the credits. In other words, the red dots may be a symptom of a general problem that is difficult to detect otherwise.
But if it's only on the SW:AOTC's DVD then it is a DVD NOT player issue so I would not wory about it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.