AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pardon the question. A 6 day old Sony KDL-26S3000 is all set with a great picture except for stubborn reddish tint (sunburned) on some TV signals. The problem is the worst on digital channels, especially live newscasts. Switching over to the analog version of the same newscast yields much more natural skin tones. On the digital side, a live reporter in the field will have natural skin tone, while the anchors will have the sunburned look.

VCR tapes display natural skin tones, and so do DVDs 90% of the time.

Is this a problem at the source? Lighting? Camera settings? Am I wasting my time trying to correct this problem? I've tried tweaking all of the settings, but cannot completely eliminate this problem. Am I sentenced to looking at pink faces on my digital newscasts? Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 /forum/post/12986153

Pardon the question. A 6 day old Sony KDL-26S3000 is all set with a great picture except for stubborn reddish tint (sunburned) on some TV signals. The problem is the worst on digital channels, especially live newscasts. Switching over to the analog version of the same newscast yields much more natural skin tones. On the digital side, a live reporter in the field will have natural skin tone, while the anchors will have the sunburned look.

VCR tapes display natural skin tones, and so do DVDs 90% of the time.

Is this a problem at the source? Lighting? Camera settings? Am I wasting my time trying to correct this problem? I've tried tweaking all of the settings, but cannot completely eliminate this problem. Am I sentenced to looking at pink faces on my digital newscasts? Thanks for your suggestions.

How did you calibrate the set?

In general it is difficult (and probably impossible) to accurately calibrate a set by viewing broadcast material. As you have found out, broadcast material varies too much from channel to channel and show to show to even attempt the "eyeball" method.

Calibrate the set to the best of your ability (test disc and filters at minimum), and then you know that any severe color distortions are in the broadcast, especially if you only see it on certain channels. Nothing really you can do about that.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwjohn /forum/post/12996205

How did you calibrate the set?

In general it is difficult (and probably impossible) to accurately calibrate a set by viewing broadcast material. As you have found out, broadcast material varies too much from channel to channel and show to show to even attempt the "eyeball" method.

Calibrate the set to the best of your ability (test disc and filters at minimum), and then you know that any severe color distortions are in the broadcast, especially if you only see it on certain channels. Nothing really you can do about that.

You're right, of course. But the DVD and filters are only good for the DVD (component) input. My main problem lies in broadcast material. I've played with all of the adustments on the "TV" input (coax directly into the TV), and and unable to get rid of the pinkish tint to the skin tone. Even on some analog channels. I never had any sort of problem with skin tones on my WEGA CRT set, with the same coax as the source. I am beginning to suspect a faulty color decoder, as the symptoms are symptomatic of a "red push" type problem.

I adjusted all as well as possible (contrast, sharpness, etc. turned way down) and my neighbor termed the picture during "Lost" as "stunning." Good thing he didn't hang around for a pink-faced David Letterman.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 /forum/post/12996988

You're right, of course. But the DVD and filters are only good for the DVD (component) input. My main problem lies in broadcast material. I've played with all of the adustments on the "TV" input (coax directly into the TV), and and unable to get rid of the pinkish tint to the skin tone. Even on some analog channels. I never had any sort of problem with skin tones on my WEGA CRT set, with the same coax as the source. I am beginning to suspect a faulty color decoder, as the symptoms are symptomatic of a "red push" type problem.

I adjusted all as well as possible (contrast, sharpness, etc. turned way down) and my neighbor termed the picture during "Lost" as "stunning." Good thing he didn't hang around for a pink-faced David Letterman.

If you have a color decoder problem, then it should show up everywhere, including DVDs. I don't really know what could cause the problem you describe except for variation in broadcast material. For instance, I always notice a red tint to ESPN SportsCenter, but that is just how it is broadcast.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwjohn /forum/post/12998026

If you have a color decoder problem, then it should show up everywhere, including DVDs. I don't really know what could cause the problem you describe except for variation in broadcast material. For instance, I always notice a red tint to ESPN SportsCenter, but that is just how it is broadcast.

Watch the HDTV version of David Letterman and tell me what color his face is. Same with a digital broadcast of Ellen Degeneres. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts