AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finally was able to hook up my new NEC XG110LC and found something disturbing out. The red CRT won't fire up. I know it was working fine when I picked it up a few weeks ago and the projector wasn't mis-handled in any way, but now red won't go. As it is Friday night on a 3 day weekend, I am stuck until Tuesday unless my friends on AVS can help.

I see no troubleshooting section in my owner's manual that might help me out.

Also, I was getting ready to hook up my VGA breakout cable and realized that I don't know which is the H and which is the V synch on the white and yellow. My RGBHV connector on the back of the NEC doesn't say which is which and better cables doesn't mention in their web site. Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

·
Registered
567 Posts
yellow is horizontal sync. white is vertical sync.

you haven't inadvertantly pressed the mute button for the red gun have you?

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you press a mute button for one gun? This is my first CRT outside of my RPTV.

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took the covers off and when I fire it up, I can see a glowing at the base of each CRT gun, but light doesn't come out of the Red tube. I don't know if this helps with the info, but is there anything I should be looking for/at?

Mike

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Poindexter
How do you press a mute button for one gun? This is my first CRT outside of my RPTV.

Mike
On the service remote about half way down on the right there three buttons labeled R, G, B. Pressing these buttons will selectively toggle the respective tube on and off.

--Jerome

·
Registered
869 Posts
With the large service remote, press TEST, and choose the ALL WHITE FIELD. Do you now have a lit red tube? When you tested previously, how did you know the red tube was working? It is possible that a calbe came loose, but if you are not electronic repair knowledgeable, you can really zap youself, so I will save those comments until I have a feel for your knowledge level (Think -thrown accross the room and knocked out due to a HV jolt).

Jeff in Detroit

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
It might be different down under, but my cables have been Yellow-V sync, white-H sync. No harm done if you hook them up in reverse.

Curt

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I pressed TEST and chose All White Field. The blue and green guns were firing, but nothing from the red. I selected the G and B buttons which turned each of those tubes of and on again, but when I selected the R, nothing happened. It is still off. I can see no loose wire. I will need to totally unplug the projector, I am sure, but any help would be appreciated.

Although I have never worked on a CRT before, I build computers all the time, so I am comfortable around open electronics.

Mike

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Mike,

Under the metal lid there's a card cage, look at the sticker on the cover and reseat the video out power board. I think this is minor but not sure, other then the R-G-B button on the remote theres no other way to "user" shut off the red. Unplug the projector before reseating the board, may as well reseat all of them, to loosen lift up on the plastic tabs on the end of the boards. Good uck. Doug

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fixed it! BOO-YAH!!

I checked the cards, which were all properly seated and then looked at the tubes and saw that one wire running into the board by the red tube had come off the post it was on, but it was sitting on the board right above the post so that I couldn't see it was loose at first.

I had to activate the All white to get the red gun on and I am still seeing spots. Damn, don't look a projector straight in the guns and select the all white option.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Curt Palme
It might be different down under, but my cables have been Yellow-V sync, white-H sync. No harm done if you hook them up in reverse.

Curt
Thats weird Curt. Im going to have another look just to make sure but im pretty certain my H/sync cable is terminated as yellow. It is a shop bought cable as well, not a home made job.

Maybe because our country is hanging upside down we have to reverse everything. :)

Anyway, no damage done if you hook em up back the front.

Congratulations on fixing the problem Mike. What can look like major problems are typically solved with simple solutions.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Your cable could be miswired. I've had about 4 in the last month from the local custom cable shop that were bass ackwards. Two had each color mislabelled entirely. Worse yet, it took me 1/2 hour to figure the first one out in a customer's house. Even worse, the second one got sold to a forum member.

Too bad the custom cable guys keep doing this. They're all rock and roll guys, so I told them to cut back (or increase) the drugs..;-)

Other than that, I can't beat the quality of the actual cable itself or the price, or their warranty...

Curt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.