AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The new 8K sensor is 40.96mm x 21.6mm with a resolution of 8192 x 4320 and a max frame rate of 75fps at 8K.
http://nofilmschool.com/2015/04/red...on-dragon-6k-price-cost-availability-nab-2015

That sensor is wider than a 35mm full frame sensor !
https://vimeo.com/124732922

The 8K sensor will be 40.96 x 21.6mm (larger than the current Dragon sensor and slightly larger than the Vista Vision format) and will be able to shoot 1.896:1 8K (8192 x 4320 pixels) at up to 60fps. It can also shoot a shorter 2.40:1 aspect ratio at up to 75fps.
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2071668196/red-introduces-8k-sensor-and-weapon-camera

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
A million reasons will be given why 8k isn't needed, until you own it, then it's essential and blows away everything that came before it, and you can't possibly know how good good it is without it. Do you own one? No. Then as long as you are happy with a lesser camera that's all that matters. Same thing that happens now with 4k. Are you watching on a 4k monitor? No. Then you are not seeing what I am seeing, but as long as you are happy with a lesser experience than I am enjoying, that's all that matters. (Chuckle..) Narcisism, the most powerful of motivators!

8k will trickle down most assuredly at every price point, just as is happening now with 4k. But for the really good content, it won't matter what you create it with.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RED has just confirmed that the first major feature film shooting on their new 8K camera is Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.

While the flagship 8K WEAPON Vista Vision/full-frame 35mm camera is a lot more than most of us need right now, major Hollywood features can always find a way to take advantage of more resolution and higher frame rates. This camera is slowly starting to trickle out to RED users who have pre-ordered it, but as always with the newest tech, high profile shows often get first crack at it. The 8K DRAGON sensor shares similar image characteristics — like pixel size, color, and dynamic range — as the 6K DRAGON sensor, but is much larger.

Here's a little more from RED's press release on this:

“We are all hugely excited to be shooting the next Guardians of the Galaxy on the new WEAPON 8K. This is my third collaboration with RED, having previously shot with the RED EPIC® on Prometheus and the EPIC DRAGON on Tarzan,” says Nik Korda, Executive Producer. “The large sensor size and super high resolution offered by the new WEAPON 8K, combined with its lightweight and compact size open up a whole range of new creative possibilities.”
WEAPON 8K captures 8K at 75 frames per second (fps), 6K at 100 fps, or 4K at 150 fps with REDCODE® RAW; and its wide dynamic range produces cinema-quality images rich with natural color. Additionally, WEAPON 8K features interchangeable lens mounts, an intelligent OLPF system, and in-camera 3D-LUT outputs.
“RED’s 8K WEAPON is the little big camera. Perfectly counterintuitive. And perfect for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2,” says Henry Braham, BSC, Director of Photography.
http://nofilmschool.com/2016/01/guardians-galaxy-vol-2-red-weapon-8k-full-frame-vista-vision-camera

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
MKBHD could have gotten by with much lesser gear such as the GH4 for instance, given his content has always been what draws people to watch his videos. I don't have the statistics but I doubt the majority of his subscribers and most people who may have just stumbled onto one of his clips watched them on 4K TVs at home. The content caters mostly for the mobile crowd who only want to watch the videos on their way to wherever or while they are doing whatever on a laptop or desktop somewhere not in the living room. The type who normally briefly watch short content partly to kill time while doing something else. I myself have watched his videos only at 1080p or lower and they all looked good all the same. It's just the pure coolness factor that made him shoot with that Red Epic and try to have this latest 8K thing. But he has earned it IMO.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts