AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Hiroyuki Nakano, director of "Samurai Fiction", comes this send up of Ninja movies.

"Aka Kage" (aka "Red Shadow") is a member of the Shadow Ninja Clan, who are famed for their use of "invincible steel" weapons and armor which came from a meteor that landed on Earth long ago. The clan has committed itself to bringing peace to the world, but still serves a master, Lord Togo, who does not necessarily have the same goal in mind.

While this all sounds very serious, it is done in a fun and comedic style with ninjas often bumbling around, or fighting each other in the rafters with people wondering what's going on below.

The subtitles were very well done on this release, if there were any spelling/grammar mistakes then I completely missed them. The translation seemed very, very good as I only noticed one or two things that I would've translated differently.

I can't speak to the video quality on this release since I watched it at a friend's house on a 36" direct view set. It looked very good, but without my normal equipment it is really hard to compare. Next time I watch it on my mits in progressive scan I will post some impressions.

I took a short look at the second disc, which contains short featurettes on many of the main characters. They run about 4-7 minutes except for the "Day With Asuka" featurette which runs a whopping 35 minutes!! They know what the fans want, lots of features about the lovely Kumiko Aso! :D There is also an Asuka photo gallery, I don't recall any of the other characters having one of these.

If you liked "Samurai Fiction", you will love "Red Shadow"/"Aka Kage". This movie does what SF did, only much, much better! At a list price of ¥6090 (expensive even for a Japanese release) I can't recommend it for casual fans, but there is hope of a Korean release since "Samurai Fiction" made it out there.

"Red Shadow" DVD at CDJapan

"Samurai Fiction" region free Korean DVD release at DVDAsian

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.