AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new 53HS30. Did an Avia calibration and set the AXIS to 1 on all inputs. When there is a black screen during programming and the black letterbox bars on DVDs have reddish tint to them. It's not true black, but a red/black. Anyone know how to correct this?

·
Registered
271 Posts
You can play with your user Color Temperature (or "Trinitone") control. Failing that you'll need a gray scale calibration using a color analyzer. This adjusts the amount of red, green and blue at every intensity level of the black&white part of the signal. Until you get this right, everything on the screen shy of pure black will be the wrong color. In your case, all lower level signals will be tinted red (other levels may be tinted other colors).

AXIS adjusts the color decoder which is a completely separate problem which only affects the color part of the signal.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will my Best Buy extended warrantee or Sony Warantee cover a gray scale calibration? Or is it best to exchange the TV?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After some more testing it appears that the problem is very prevelant on both component inputs, but not very noticeable or at all on the other inputs. Any ideas? Should I just exchange this for a new one or try to get it fixed. It's brand new. Only one day old.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Another set might be as bad or worse, and warranty service willl not cover adjusting the gray scale. You'll need to contact a local professional calibrator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.