AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks but that one is not released yet... says 05/20/2003.

Is there one that has been released already and is widescreen?

Sorry to be such a pain in the @ss!

·
Registered
167 Posts
ckl_88

I have the first US dvd that is in anamorphic WS.

I'll sell it for 5.00+shipping

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones
How is this DVD? I have heard good and bad.
Are you talking about DVD quality or the movie quality. I'm guessing the DVD quality.

If so, there are a few versions out there that are very poorly done. Here is a link that identifies one of these poor versions:
Link to Red Violin Review

The one I got as a gift is distributed by Alliance Atlantis. I'm not sure whether this is the Canadian version, but it is of poor quality... I mean, it's fullscreen and it's only in dolby surround.

I've found some website somewhere that there is also a version from Lions Gate. This one is widescreen and has Dolby Digital 5.1.

There is one from Universal Home Video that is widescreen and contains DD5.1 and DTS tracks. This the one you want.

DVDPlanet (as mentioned in one of the posts above) has this movie listed but won't be available until 05/20/2003.

In summary, when buying this movie online, you have to make sure which one you're getting because I've found that they display the image of the good quality one (Universal), but then the details contradicts the image cover.

If you are asking about the movie, I don't know because I haven't seen it yet. (I'm gonna return the one I have and get the good one).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have the Universal release, in anamorphic widescreen, DD and DTS. This is one of our favorite movies, because we think the storyline is clever and we like the music. I use scenes from this for PQ demo - there is one of Chinese children performing that just looks fantastic.

Good luck getting the proper version!

·
Registered
429 Posts
I would agree with SWC on the storyline. Very clever. Interesting idea for a movie, and well done.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I'll second Dean's comments. This is a beautiful film and a great story. I've only rented this disc and its been quite some time since I've seen it.

I was very happy to read this film was being re-released this Spring, and will definitely be picking it up!

Howie

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
This thread motivated me to watch RV again last night for the first time in a year or two. Luckily I have the Universal edition as well. I forgot how much I love this film!! I had also completely forgotten that the director did Peter Gabriel's Secret World, which of course came out recently on DVD. The only thing about the movie that still throws me is Sam L. Jackson.... he's great but obviously trying to "change type". I keep waiting for him to say something like "Hand me my violin. It's the one that says 'Bad Motherf**ker'." :D

·
Premium Member
11,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ckl_88
Are you talking about DVD quality or the movie quality. I'm guessing the DVD quality.

If so, there are a few versions out there that are very poorly done. Here is a link that identifies one of these poor versions:
Link to Red Violin Review

The one I got as a gift is distributed by Alliance Atlantis. I'm not sure whether this is the Canadian version, but it is of poor quality... I mean, it's fullscreen and it's only in dolby surround.

I've found some website somewhere that there is also a version from Lions Gate. This one is widescreen and has Dolby Digital 5.1.

There is one from Universal Home Video that is widescreen and contains DD5.1 and DTS tracks. This the one you want.

DVDPlanet (as mentioned in one of the posts above) has this movie listed but won't be available until 05/20/2003.

In summary, when buying this movie online, you have to make sure which one you're getting because I've found that they display the image of the good quality one (Universal), but then the details contradicts the image cover.

If you are asking about the movie, I don't know because I haven't seen it yet. (I'm gonna return the one I have and get the good one).

Hope this helps.
I meant the movie quality. Thanks.:)

·
Registered
879 Posts
Quote:
I was very happy to read this film was being re-released this Spring, and will definitely be picking it up!
If memory serves, I believe the Lion's Gate re-release is dropping the DTS track. I'm looking to pick up the previous Universal pressing...

My $.02,

·
Registered
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones
I meant the movie quality. Thanks.:)
I would say their was a clever timeline to this film, but overall, I would rate it a little above average.

~ Jay

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.