AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question that has been bugging me for (quite) a while; has anyone else rented a Blu Ray from Red Box and discovered the audio is only DD 5.1?


I rented "The Hunger Games" when it was first released, and noticed when it started to play that my AVR was displaying "DD 5.1". A closer look at the disc showed it labeled DD 5.1. I tried it in other players/AVR set ups just to be sure, and yes it was only Dolby Digital 5.1.


I ended up calling Red Box, but the CSR really had no idea of what I was talking about when it came to the audio format.


So, am I the only one who has gotten a "5.1 audio Blu Ray"" Has anyone else come across this, and know of any reason why the discs were formatted this way? Again, just curious....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,053 Posts
There's a thread dedicated to these releases. I'd search for it a post it for you, but I'm currently mobile...


It should be noted that some retail discs come with DD vs DTSHDMA. I got burned by "Red" by buying the cheaper version.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,358 Posts
Not all. I just got Silver Linings Playbook from Redbox and it was DTS MA 5.1. Certain discs / studios discs' that are rented have a lesser soundtrack version. A sign of the times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland  /t/1471374/redbox-blu-ray-with-dolby-5-1-only#post_23280631


Not all. I just got Silver Linings Playbook from Redbox and it was DTS MA 5.1. Certain discs / studios discs' that are rented have a lesser soundtrack version. A sign of the times.

I readily admit most of the Red Box Blu Rays that I've rented have been at least a DTS format, but I had never seen a Blu Ray with just DD 5.1. It just bothered me because I chased down the Blu Ray for the audio enhancement.


I'm presuming "Red" must have their own discs made somewhere/somehow, and can it really be that much more cost for DTS?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews  /t/1471374/redbox-blu-ray-with-dolby-5-1-only#post_23280566


There's a thread dedicated to these releases. I'd search for it a post it for you, but I'm currently mobile...


It should be noted that some retail discs come with DD vs DTSHDMA. I got burned by "Red" by buying the cheaper version.

Thanks, I'll search for the thread. I just feel I also got a bit "burned" by this rental. I specifically chased down the Blu Ray version for the audio, and I had never seen a Blu Ray with only DD 5.1.


I also did not know that some retail discs only come with DD; a good heads up!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizwiz41  /t/1471374/redbox-blu-ray-with-dolby-5-1-only/0_50#post_23280729


Thanks, I'll search for the thread. I just feel I also got a bit "burned" by this rental. I specifically chased down the Blu Ray version for the audio, and I had never seen a Blu Ray with only DD 5.1.


I also did not know that some retail discs only come with DD; a good heads up!



It seems like the trend is going back to rentals with lossless audio again. I rent 2 to 3 new releases a week and haven't come across a BD with only lossy audio for several months.




Ian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang  /t/1471374/redbox-blu-ray-with-dolby-5-1-only#post_23280843


It seems like the trend is going back to rentals with lossless audio again. I rent 2 to 3 new releases a week and haven't come across a BD with only lossy audio for several months.




Ian

Interesting, so it seems this happens more than I thought. Originally, I perceived that this was a "defective" disc, that somehow the Blu Ray had been made incorrectly. To be fair, this is the only Blu Ray I've rented from "Red" that came this way.


What I have learned is there is no way to tell per the disc, and definitely per their generic cases. I now find myself putting a disc in the player to see what format it is in before watching the movie.
 

·
Registered
Vizio PQ65-F1, Onkyo TX-RZ810, LG UBK90, Sony BDP-S380, Toshiba HD-XA2, M&K Speakers
Joined
·
1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizwiz41  /t/1471374/redbox-blu-ray-with-dolby-5-1-only/0_100#post_23280722


I readily admit most of the Red Box Blu Rays that I've rented have been at least a DTS format, but I had never seen a Blu Ray with just DD 5.1. It just bothered me because I chased down the Blu Ray for the audio enhancement.


I'm presuming "Red" must have their own discs made somewhere/somehow, and can it really be that much more cost for DTS?

Redbox is subject to whatever the movie studios are willing to sell them as rental versions. Blame the studios as they seem to think you will run out and purchase the title because you were disappointed the rental version had only lossy audio. There is a cost issue sometimes also. If dropping lossless audio off the title permits the title to fit onto a single layer BD-ROM - they are probably saving a few pennies per disc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
My Total Recall was Dolby over the weekend. I watched about 45 minutes of it in stereo actually before I even caught on. Not really sure why my Dolby was set to play in stereo, but whatever. My receiver has a ‘Late Night’ feature for Dolby that I’m sure my bitchy neighbors liked for what limited time I used it – on the upside of Dolby only.


Total Recall is way better in 5.1 btw.


I don't often get Dolby only movies though - most are DTS that I've come across.
 

·
UHD Addict
Joined
·
38,994 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizwiz41  /t/1471374/redbox-blu-ray-with-dolby-5-1-only#post_23280729


Thanks, I'll search for the thread. I just feel I also got a bit "burned" by this rental. I specifically chased down the Blu Ray version for the audio, and I had never seen a Blu Ray with only DD 5.1.


I also did not know that some retail discs only come with DD; a good heads up!

I've got a bunch of BDs I bought in 2006 and 2007 with DD 5.1.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfwd  /t/1471374/redbox-blu-ray-with-dolby-5-1-only#post_23284737


My Total Recall was Dolby over the weekend. I watched about 45 minutes of it in stereo actually before I even caught on. Not really sure why my Dolby was set to play in stereo, but whatever. My receiver has a ‘Late Night’ feature for Dolby that I’m sure my bitchy neighbors liked for what limited time I used it – on the upside of Dolby only.


Total Recall is way better in 5.1 btw.


I don't often get Dolby only movies though - most are DTS that I've come across.

Was it Dolby TrueHD or just plain Dolby Digital 5.1? The copy I rented was Dolby TrueHD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OARevolution  /t/1471374/redbox-blu-ray-with-dolby-5-1-only#post_23287086


Was it Dolby TrueHD or just plain Dolby Digital 5.1? The copy I rented was Dolby TrueHD.

Interesting that some BDs (thru Red) are in Dolby TrueHD, while others are in DD 5.1. It makes me wonder why there would be different formats.


Again, the problem is that the discs do not state what the audio format is; you have to play it to find out.


My issue is that I rent the BDs for the audio. I'm sure everyone here has set ups that "upscale" a DVD to Hd, so the picture quality is nearly a tie. So, we rent the BD for the audio, and perhaps some of the "extras".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OARevolution  /t/1471374/redbox-blu-ray-with-dolby-5-1-only#post_23287086


Was it Dolby TrueHD or just plain Dolby Digital 5.1? The copy I rented was Dolby TrueHD.

Well, considering that I didn’t notice I had it in stereo until about 45 minutes passed – it might not be hard to imagine if I didn’t notice what flavor of Dolby it was in to begin with. I have an old school receiver with no HDMI anyway – so……


I had already seen both of the movies that I rented (had a coupon) in the theater. So, I actually did rent these with some expectation of what the sound was going to be like. I was just lazy about paying attention when I actually popped them in.
 

·
Registered
Vizio PQ65-F1, Onkyo TX-RZ810, LG UBK90, Sony BDP-S380, Toshiba HD-XA2, M&K Speakers
Joined
·
1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizwiz41  /t/1471374/redbox-blu-ray-with-dolby-5-1-only/0_100#post_23287270


Interesting that some BDs (thru Red) are in Dolby TrueHD, while others are in DD 5.1. It makes me wonder why there would be different formats.


Again, the problem is that the discs do not state what the audio format is; you have to play it to find out.


My issue is that I rent the BDs for the audio. I'm sure everyone here has set ups that "upscale" a DVD to Hd, so the picture quality is nearly a tie. So, we rent the BD for the audio, and perhaps some of the "extras".

Personally, I believe there is a far greater improvement in PQ than AQ when comparing an upconverted DVD with lossy audio to a full 1080p BD with lossless audio - but I surely agree we all invested in blu-ray to get improvements in both and it is very annoying when the movie studios play games with the quality for whatever reasons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86  /t/1471374/redbox-blu-ray-with-dolby-5-1-only#post_23290911


Personally, I believe there is a far greater improvement in PQ than AQ when comparing an upconverted DVD with lossy audio to a full 1080p BD with lossless audio - but I surely agree we all invested in blu-ray to get improvements in both and it is very annoying when the movie studios play games with the quality for whatever reasons.

I totally agree. The PQ quality from a DVD compared to a well mastered Blu-ray should be hands down in the Blu-rays favor. The audio on the other hand is a little trickier. A high bit rate well mixed lossy track can sound wonderful, even when compared with the lossless version. But as you said, I have a blu-ray player for a reason and I want the highest quality possible. That goes for audio and video. It's just a ploy from the studios to get people to buy the discs rather than rent. All the discs I have rented lately have had their lossless audio intact, as was mentioned earlier in this thread. So it seems that they have stopped stripping the audio down to lossy codecs, at least for the time being.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OARevolution  /t/1471374/redbox-blu-ray-with-dolby-5-1-only#post_23290960


.... All the discs I have rented lately have had their lossless audio intact, as was mentioned earlier in this thread. So it seems that they have stopped stripping the audio down to lossy codecs, at least for the time being.

So, is it "Red", or the studios, that dictate these discs? I would presume that Red is simply looking for the cheapest product to rent out.


However, from a business side, it would seem that making a special production run of BD w/ DD 5.1 would actually cost more.....
 

·
Registered
Vizio PQ65-F1, Onkyo TX-RZ810, LG UBK90, Sony BDP-S380, Toshiba HD-XA2, M&K Speakers
Joined
·
1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizwiz41  /t/1471374/redbox-blu-ray-with-dolby-5-1-only/0_100#post_23291413


So, is it "Red", or the studios, that dictate these discs? I would presume that Red is simply looking for the cheapest product to rent out.


However, from a business side, it would seem that making a special production run of BD w/ DD 5.1 would actually cost more.....

Nobody ever said the movie studios make business decisions with both oars in the water . . . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
819 Posts
If people stop using redbox and using a video store maybe that would make the studios situp

Video stores sell some later so they wont be adulterated

Here where I live not many are using rental boxes which is great
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,771 Posts
No video stores where I live. They are all gone. All I have is Red Box.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top