AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a 40' RedMere HDMI cable (Cabernet Series from Monoprice FWIW) in-wall. I was planning on terminating both ends to either a female-female keystone jack or regular hdmi wall plate. Either way, it just dawned on me that I'm not sure if that setup will work using my standard hdmi cables from the AVR to the source jack, and the other wall jack to the TV since RedMere cables are directional and standard ones aren't.

Can I mix standard and redmere cables like that from A(standard) to B(RedMere) to C(standard), or do I have to make sure they are all RedMere cables from A to B to C?

·
Registered
18,926 Posts
For a 40' in-wall installation I'd recommend using solid core CAT-6 cable inside a conduit and then terminating the ends with an active extender. Redmere's work fine but they are uni-directional as you mentioned because of the chipset in the sink end (tv side) that draws a little power. That's why Redmere cables can work at distances longer than the current certifiable 25' and use a smaller gauge cable. Because of the "electronics" in the sink end, they can also fail over time like any other electronic device. If the cable is installed in a conduit, then pulling a new cable is relatively easy. However, I don't think you can terminate a Redmere cable with a passive connection (keystone jack). It needs to draw power from the sink end and are designed for that purpose. Even daisy-chaining Redmere cables probably won't work. Hopefully Joe will comment on that.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
However, I don't think you can terminate a Redmere cable with a passive connection (keystone jack). It needs to draw power from the sink end and are designed for that purpose.
Ah. That makes sense. It's ok. I guess I'll just forgo the plugs then, and just use a pass-through wall plate instead. I also bought a 30 footer, which I might be able to get away with. I'll go with the shortest length I can. It just depends on what I end up dealing with in the attic. Thanks!

·
Registered
18,926 Posts
Ah. That makes sense. It's ok. I guess I'll just forgo the plugs then, and just use a pass-through wall plate instead. I also bought a 30 footer, which I might be able to get away with. I'll go with the shortest length I can. It just depends on what I end up dealing with in the attic. Thanks!
CAT-6 in a conduit (at least in the walls) is really your best bet if you want to "future-proof" your wiring. HDMI specs will change (2.0a was just announced) which means that the high speed hdmi cable specs will change over time as well. CAT-6 will work a lot longer than the current high speed hdmi cables will. But whatever you decide on, use conduit!

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CAT-6 in a conduit (at least in the walls) is really your best bet if you want to "future-proof" your wiring. HDMI specs will change (2.0a was just announced) which means that the high speed hdmi cable specs will change over time as well. CAT-6 will work a lot longer than the current high speed hdmi cables will. But whatever you decide on, use conduit!
I'm with you 100%. However, this won't be for my own house. Doing this for somebody else, who has totally maxed out their budget and won't want to spend the extra bucks on a ethernet-hdmi extender if we can get away with a straight HDMI cable. In the meanwhile at least. Guy's not a cheapskate or anything. He's just spent everything on what we've bought already. He might be interested in doing that later down the road. I will certainly be doing that for my own house, but then again I'm already networked all over my house. :D

·
Registered
18,926 Posts
Well then it looks like a long Redmere cable point to point connection is his only option. Redmere's are really thin cables so as long as he doesn't have any sharp bends and can pull the cable easily, he may be ok. A conduit at least should still be used but, that's his call.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a quick follow-up. Just wanted to say that the 40 footer works great with zero issues. Straight from AVR to TV. No terminations. ARC works perfectly, as does pixel perfect image transfer. Hope it lasts a long time! :)

·
Registered
18,926 Posts
Just a quick follow-up. Just wanted to say that the 40 footer works great with zero issues. Straight from AVR to TV. No terminations. ARC works perfectly, as does pixel perfect image transfer. Hope it lasts a long time! :)
The Redmere cable is working as designed with the point to point connection. I just hope he used a conduit, just in case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts