AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have checked out your RedRat2 site. Pretty cool looking stuff... not convinced it would make my TV scheduling easier though! :)

I am trying to understand the basic concept of your ReplayTV searches. Let me know if I'm right or wrong, please!

You have tons of saved searches, which you can run whenever you want to. When you execute a search, your system sends the appropriate IR commands to the Replay to perform a search of the guide data. Then, you can decide what, if any, matches to record. Correct? If wrong, I don't see how you're getting the guide data to your computer to search through there.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump to the top...

·
Registered
866 Posts
I don't copy the guide data to the computer, although I sure wish I could.

All of the interaction that I would do with the remote is done using the RedRat2. It goes through the steps of bringing up the find utility, entering the characters via the on screen keyboard, selecting the criteria and then kicking off the find.

Using the remote control a single search might take 40-50 button presses and a minute to enter. With my program I select the subject, the search string and then press the search button. My interaction time less than 5 seconds. The thing is I can select groups of strings to search on. These are loaded into a search buffer. The neat thing is that I have an auto-pilot mode which has time delays between searches so that I can view the results of the search. If I don't do anything it times out and goes on to the next search. I can browse around the search results and setup a record while the program is counting down to the next search. I can add some time if I want, or I can tell it to skip to the next search string.

In essence I can search the 100's of strings with one mouse click. Just sit back and watch it go on auto-pilot, or interrupt it at any point to setup a recording...

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I understand the concept completely now. It is also pretty cool how you have your Replay being sent to your PC, too, so that you can view the results right there. I would have been really impressed :))) if you were doing the processing on your PC, and seeing the results there (not via a PC capture card and the Replay), and then able to send the command to record one or more of the result set. But that would take tons more time, and may not be even possible.

Here's another question... (and I'm not trying to start any feature war between Tivo and Replay): Would you be able to do something similar with a Tivo and a Pronto, using Tivo's non-auto-recording wishlists and a remote like a Pronto?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Why not do this with Myreplaytv. Automate the process of sending the search strings to myreplaytv. This way you can if you'd like get the results of several searches at the same time and be able to set up a recording on any of them.

Shouldn't be to difficult all the "hard" work would be parsing the html to suit your application. I am actually surprised that something like this isn't being used. I've been meaning to try and set something like this up but haven't gotten a chance to get to it.

·
Registered
866 Posts
BrettStah - I thought about doing the phone->computer->web gateway hack just so I could get the guide data on the PC. I suppose I could also snarf it from MyReplayTV.com in the same way that tvguide -> http://freshmeat.net/projects/tvguide/ does. A lot of work, perhaps I will at one point.

The problem, as you notice, is that once you do the searching, you need to send the record request(s) to the ReplayTV. By running the find utility I can just cursor to desired shows and press the record button using the mouse an my RemoteTV remote control panel. -> http://www.orbit2orbit.com/gmd/RedRa...replay_gtk.jpg

I can't think of any way to completely automate the entry of those record requests. Well I suppose a VCR style record, but that loses the show descriptions in the ReplayGuide. Actually I take that back, one can navigate the guide predictably if you have the guide data and know the time. So I guess it can be done. Hmmmmm... A Goto "Channel 5 at 12:30pm on Friday the 9th" would translate to button presses "Channel_Guide 5 Enter FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF Right_Arrow Right_Arrow ....".

I'm not sure how ReplayTV would feel about people snarfing the whole guide via MyReplayTV.com . It's not a very efficient way to get the data.

Using a Pronto might be a bit more difficult, how do you transfer the search strings? Could you enter search strings dynamically or do you have to go back to the PC for that? You could use a Palm Pilot and OmniRemote. One can now write custom apps using the IR library. You could also write the program to work on BOTH the ReplayTV and the TiVo. Might be nice for those who have both units. I suppose a UTV driver is possible as well.

It would really be better if RTV rolled this into MyReplayTV.com. If one could just keep a list of search strings on the web site then whenever you were looking for more shows to watch you could run the strings against the database on the servers. Or even setup one day a week when the search was run. Email the results and create a page with the search results. Then just browse to the search results and select the ones you want to record... Perhaps they could call it MyTVAgent or something. They need to improve the speed of the web site though! Even with the web service I think I would still want a local PC client interface just to make the interactions smoother. Of course with the 4k's one should be able to communicate from the PC to all your 4k's and the service at the same time. Such a program should also handle scheduling across multiple 4k units as well :)

Domat - Have a look at the tvguide link above. Some kind of similar perl script would do the trick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.