AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the question is should we allow for dense felt material in the calculations when designing a speaker?

My thoughts are yes, but i haven't read anything about it including it with the calculations.

I'm currently looking at making a new L C R set up with a similar style to the B&W 700 series, mainly the HTM71 and 703.

I currently have the HTM72 and was looking at grabbing the 703's and upgrading to the HTM71, but i'd like to explore building my own.

I'm a qualified Cabinetmaker and a trained fine furniture maker with my own workshop, so building the cabinet is the easy bit (Im thinking 25mm MDF sides with 8-10mm Tasmanian Blackwood QS timber bonded to the MDF and i'd be looking at 25mm + 16mm MDF and Blackwood Figured veneer at the front, i'd be using expoy adhesive and using a vacuum press for my timber bonding( allows for a stronger bond and allows for more working time, which i also find handy when working with 45 degree domino joins in a box construction

I've read a bit on Speaker Cabinet construction, So i understand the radius on the internals and behind the drivers, that all seems like commonsense

But i'd like to hear if any one allows for the Felt and Sound deadener as part of you calculations, so i can come up with my final dimensions.

The Centre would be a (Troels Gravesen 8008 MTM) type style with

TW29R-B - SATORI 1¼" RING TWEETER

2 X MW16P-8 - SATORI 6.5" MID-WOOFER

MR16P-8 - SATORI 6.5" MID-RANGE

The Towers would use the same Drivers, but in a TMM style similar to the current B & W 700 tower series.

Still looking at a crossover solution, but i'm looking at with a concealed rear mounting, to allow easy access for Crossover modification.

I do have a Decent Audio Hifi company down the road from my workshop, that should be able to design a Crossover if need be if i completely fail at this aspect as this is a complex job for me as its a 3 way setup and my own cabinet

I have easy local access to the SA drivers, so i'm looking at these due to cost/performance over here in Aus.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The reason you've not found anything about it is because nobody worries about it. Box size isn't that critical from what I've read. You can be + or - a few percent from the "theoretical" ideal with no noticable changes in output level or quality. You're still up there on top of there on top of the bell curve. The farther you go the faster bad things happen.

How would that even work: Stuffing a box makes it simulate being bigger so you would make you box smaller to compensate? Bah. Maybe we should worry more about the volume of the glue beads inside. 🙂

1 - 2 of 2 Posts