1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all CRT'ers,

I am very happy with my NEC 6PGextra, except for one thing:

The noise.

It is not so much the level of it (70dB according to manual) as the character: a highpitched whining sound. My hushbox made out of one inch thick styrofoam plates only made a slight reduction of this sound.

Now, as far as I can hear, this whining is caused by the "grids" just in front of the fans, at least the two at the chassis bottom have these. Not sure about "grid" being the correct english term for these, but I'm sure all you NEC owners know what I mean. These grids are attached with screws inside the projector, in order to get acess to them it would be necessary to first remove the tubes and some circuitboards. I was thinking, couldn't these grids just be cut away with a wire cutter from the outside ? Do these grids really have any purpose ? Sound level in general will maybe not be reduced that much, but I'd bet the whining will disappear. A fan runnimng in free air will make not much more noise than a "ffffffffff.....". Any opinions on this ?

Thanks, Thomas

·
Registered
845 Posts
Thomas,

I am having the same issue with my 6pg xtra. Great PJ but just too noisy and very distracting when watching movies. I know it's possible to put a resistor or maybe doing the 9 or 7-volt trick to slow down the fans. I did the 7-volt trick with my case fans and it quieted down my HTPC considerably.

Ranger

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ranger,

Yes, somehow reducing voltage would slow the fans down...but what do you think about the idea of cutting those grids ? I am sure those are the ones that create that whining sound. I once had a LCD pj with an even larger fan to cool the lamp, but the fan actually made only a faint sound of air rushing...not loud and not very annoying.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Thomas,

I think cutting the grills would help. I am tempted to do that myself. Cutting the grills would reduce the turbulance and the highpitched whining noise. I did cut out my htpc front case grill and the noise level was reduced considerably. However by reducing the voltage the fan is virtually silence, just blowing air.

Ranger

·
Registered
251 Posts
Guys,

A thread was started about a year ago or so which I posted that Chuck Williams' fan mod on my NEC 10PG has solved this very problem to this date. Chuck has also made a mod for the 6pg and other NEC's as well. Do a search. I love the fact that during quiet scenes its just that, quiet!

Good Luck

JohnBoy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.