AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of tweaking powerstrip to run with my TV, and the ATI dongle. I have been adding custom resolutions with some success, but right now I am focusing on custom resolutions for gaming. I have 1024x768 and 1280x1024 working right now, but the vertical overscan, particularly in 1280x1024, is pretty bad. I understand that I can't change this through the custom timings in PS, because it changes the vertical line count and such. However, is there anything else I can do?

Is there a option in the service menu of my Sony HS510 for vertical overscan? If so what would that be. As I learned the vertical size control only seems to affect the picture displayed on the tv, not the incoming signal.

Now I know the radeon driver support for the dongle is terrible, but if they tooled around with it, would it be possible eventually for them to add controls into the radeon drivers to adjust vertical overscan directly from the card? IE change the outgoing signal? Or will that be impossible because of the same reason powerstrip can't affect vertical overscan?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I use the RGB input on my Pioneer 533. Since this input is dedicated to my HTPC can I reduce the overscan on just this input through the service menu?

I could theoredically reduce it to 0% overscan and get 1080i to fill the entire screen. Is this bad for the TV?

any comments?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Quote:
...Or will that be impossible because of the same reason powerstrip can't affect vertical overscan?
Powerstrip can affect vertical overscan. Granted, the TV will think that it is running at a higher resolution that it really is, because the number of active lines (1024) will be far less than the total number of lines. Just increase the front and back porch values in the vertical section of the timings.

Another option is to go into the Sony TV's service mode, and fiddle with the geometry controls in there. You will find basically the same set of geometry controls (H, V size, centering, pincusion, keystone, etc etc.) as well as a whole lot of other things that you do not want to mess around with. Before chaning anything in service mode, write down the original value so that you can return the set to normal. Do a google search on "sony projection tv service mode" and you'll find a lot of sites explaining how to do it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.