Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

I have some mpeg-2 ts HDTV that need reencoding (or my hardrive needs it), but with all that mess about formats I dunno which formats to use and where to start.

What I need :

- near-original quality for a size under 4.5 gigs

- keep original ac3 soundtrack

- hability to add subtitles, or soundtrack

- know the right-n-easy tool to lip-sync subtitles and additional soundtrack

- format easily playable with zoom player

- I have an a64 3200+ oced, so cpu is not that much an issue for playing

- encoding time : not more that 12 hours (or I'll need to buy an expensive double sore ;-) )

I know that's pretty much, but browsing and searching I only find a bunch of small informations.

Thanx for any help

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
I'd just leave it in TS myself :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanx for the link I'll check out

I've already searched on doom9 but it also lacks a comprehensive guide ...

as for keeping the files in TS, it's the simple solution, but you can't clean you drives of the files , and if you get a harddrive crash, bye bye !

if keeping the ts is the best option anyway, do you know a nice tool to add a subtitle file and sync it , I found things for avi files, but not for TS

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kador
as for keeping the files in TS, it's the simple solution, but you can't clean you drives of the files , and if you get a harddrive crash, bye bye !
Well, you'll lose AVI files if your drive crashes, won't you? ;)

DVD+R media is pretty cheap for archiving.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
totally wrong : my goal is to produce 4.5 gigs avis that can be easyly archived on a single layer dvd, and I can then read the files directly from the dvd, after that i don't care if the drive crashes. Completely different with ts files, all of them being around 10 gigs, I can't archive them easily unless I use backup software (but then, I won't be able to read directly from the archive !)

;-)

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Umm... what? You can EASILY split .ts files into whatever size you want, and play directly from the DVD if needed (assuming you use a 16x reader).

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
And you could use DL drives/media to fit most TS files on a single disk. I keep most of my stuff as TS files and backup to multiple DVD-Rs. Some stuff I convert to xVid, but if it's something I really want to keep, it's TS files. Maybe once the H.264 codecs are more mature, I'll look at those.

·
Registered
261 Posts
the best way to archive video (ts, avi or any other format) on a dvd is to break it up into chunks around 100mb and then generate and store some par2 files on the same disk so that if it gets a scratch or degrades in some other way, you can still recover the whole thing.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Amen Pest! :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys, I was not asking how to keep video on a dvd ;-) you just completely ruined the topic. I want to archive those files on a single DVD, DL are out of scope because they are very expensive here and you can't even put a 10 gigs files on a DL.

Therefore a good reencoding using one of the existing mpeg-4 codecs out there is the way to go. Quoting myself :

What I need :

- near-original quality for a size under 4.5 gigs

- keep original ac3 soundtrack

- hability to add subtitles, or soundtrack

- know the right-n-easy tool to lip-sync subtitles and additional soundtrack

- format easily playable with zoom player

- I have an a64 3200+ oced, so cpu is not that much an issue for playing

- encoding time : not more that 12 hours (or I'll need to buy an expensive double sore ;-) )

Already got a few interesting answers, maybe i'll stick to wmv9 but I don't like it ...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.