AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I 'm still learning about my new Ref 30. So far very good!

When viewing a DVD it there a way to set this or any controller to automatically select the highest level of processing? Example, go directly to DTS or Dolby Digital EX.

If not what is the easiest way to find and select the best viewing for any given DVD on the Ref 30?

What order would you rate the following.

Dolby Pro Logic

Dolby Digital

Dolby Digital Surround EX

DTS

THX

:confused: :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
I dont think it will automatically select the surround mode (really the speaker settings) like that.

Curiously on Dolby EX material, I like Surround mode 7 (dolby digital Surround side and Surround back duplicated) over Surround mode 6 (Dolby digital Ex - surround backs are mono rears seperate from sides). Ill take DTS if I can get it. Never use THX.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'll try to help though I am a little foggy on what you mean. It's also be a while since I set my B&K up and I am currently traveling so this is all from memory. There is no way to have the B&K tell the DVD player what sound mode to use so you must do this:

First, set your DVD input to auto detect the incoming signal. The B&K will automatically detect what signal your DVD is sending it. This is done by flipping through the mode button past stereo etc to Surround. Also there is something in either the preferences or set-up menu that you have to set detect to automatic (if I remember its a yes/no choice).

Second, what signal your B&K gets is determined by the DVD player. Before every movie, go into the languages/audio menu and select what sound you want from the list. Some dvd's will default to DD but you will be surprised how many default to prologic. The B&K will pick up the signal you choose and away you go.....

Third your format question:

I rate (highest to lowest):

1.DTS ES

2.DTS

3.DD THX EX

4.DD5.1

5.Prologic

Fourth, unsolicited advice:

Go to radio shack. Shell out the $40 for an SPL meter and use it to calibrate your system. If you want a chuckle use your ear first, then use the SPL. I can't come close to having all channels even...and am even more embarrassed that my fiance can get it much closer than I can. I first calibrated my B&K using the built in test tones...Then used Ultimate DVD platinum to recalibrate again, using the test tones on the DVD instead of the B&K's built in ones. Good luck :)

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Sort of is the answer naturally.

You can configure the Ref 30 to have 7 speakers, and for DD tracks, it will do THX-EX to derive the 7 channel output.

However, it CANNOT select which soundtrack you want to play off the DVD, as the player itself takes the audio off of a datastream and feeds only the selected soundtrack out the digital output jack.

Is this what you're asking about, or am I off on my own little world yet again?

Regards,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.