AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My system will have a Ref 50 controlling a B&K AV 125.7 amp (125w/ch) and a Cinenova Grande 3 channel amp (300w/ch) with VMPS RM 40's in the front. The AV125.7 is balanced and the Cinenova is not. They are on their way, so the die has been cast.

I want to bi-amp the RM 40's, so the question is : does the Ref 50 output audio simultaneously on the balanced and unbalanced feeds, and if it does, then will there be enough range to in the speaker potentiometers to adjust the upper and lower frquency balance?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just spoke to B&K yesterday 12/2 and the technical rep (I didn't get a name) told me that both RCA and XLR pre-outs send the full signal and can be used simultaneously. I asked regarding the bi-amping question too.

I bi-amp my main speakers and currently split the pre-outs off my Denon 3802. I am looking to upgrade to the Ref 50 and plan to use both XLR and RCA outputs.

I'm not sure what you exactly mean by "enough range to in the speaker potentiometers to adjust the upper and lower frequency balance", but I do know that XLR can give as much as +3dB as compared to RCA output so you may be referring to this possibility? I'm not as concerned with my lower end output being exactly equal with my mid/tweeter output because my woofer is more like an integrated sub with a frequency range of ~32 to 100Hz and I also have a dedicated powered sub so I tend to reduce the gain on my woofer anyway.

I would call B&K to ask specifically about your system and concerns.

Let me know if you find any additional info out.

Thanks,

Eric

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's good news, and I should have made the call myself.

I expect that the two different amps will have different volume level results, and that, as a result, I will have to adjust the bass output to the mid/high output with the speaker controls, as the one volume control on the Ref 50 will adjust both amps equally. Fortunantly, the RM40's have such provision.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Distorted -

You have an advantage with being able to adjust output on the speakers themselves. It sounds like the Ref 50 will be perfect for you. I think that not only will the Ref 50 be a great improvement in sound quality over my 3802 but I also won't be loosing any signal strength using the XLR and RCA outputs simultaneously as I do with splitting the 3802 main outputs to bi-amp.

Good luck,

Eric

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.