AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Energy Reference Connoisseur purchase?

So I look around on Facebook Marketplace for random deals from time to time. Found someone trying to sell off a set of these for $750. Looking at the price these normally go for that seems like a steal but not sure of their age.

Reference Connoisseur RC-LCR
Reference Connoisseur RC-30 pair
C-R100 rear speaker pair
S-10.3 Subwoofer

Currently have a Denon 1913 powering a set of AJ speakers and a dayton sub

Pioneer SP-FS52 pair
Pioneer SP-C22
Pioneer SP-BS22 pair
Dayton 1200

Would this be a decent purchase / upgrade if they are in good shape? Will my Denon even do them justice or will I be needing more power?

Edit> title

·
Registered
297 Posts
So I look around on Facebook Marketplace for random deals from time to time. Found someone trying to sell off a set of these for $750. Looking at the price these normally go for that seems like a steal but not sure of their age.

C-R100 rear speaker pair
S-10.3 Subwoofer

Pioneer SP-FS52 pair
Pioneer SP-C22
Pioneer SP-BS22 pair
Dayton 1200

Would this be a decent purchase / upgrade if they are in good shape? Will my Denon even do them justice or will I be needing more power?
Keep what you have they sound like white van Speakers given there name could be wrong though ..

·
Registered
474 Posts

C-R100 rear speaker pair
S-10.3 Subwoofer

Pioneer SP-FS52 pair
Pioneer SP-C22
Pioneer SP-BS22 pair
Dayton 1200

Yes they would be an upgrade. The Energy Reference Connoisseur series measured very well.

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/energy_rc_10/
https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/speakers/energy_rc_70/

·
Registered
28,455 Posts
Energy References Connoisseur are very good speakers. They've been well reviewed.

I have RC-70 towers
RC LCR center
CR-3 surrounds
s10.3 sub

I also have RC-10's and RC Minis in another setup.

The C-R100 surrounds are a lower end Connoisseur line but I'm sure they'll work fine.

The RC-30 towers are smaller than my RC-70's but are still good sounding. The RC speaker line is over 10 years old, maybe 12 years but if in good shape would be good. They have very good build quality.

just pricing things from past ebay sales

RC-30 pair $300
RC-LCR $300+ (very hard to find and in demand, I'd like another one some day if around $200)
S10.3 sub $125 (someone is asking $199, doubt he'll get it)
C-R100 $150 (I wouldn't pay that much)

So $750 is a good deal, not great. $650 would be a smoking deal considering their age. Your Denon receiver would work fine with them, I use Denon receivers with my Energy speakers

The guy that compared them to white van speakers has no idea what he was talking about.

Reactions: Billy p

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
Why not say they were Energy speakers? Geesh. They should be fine.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Energy References Connoisseur are very good speakers. They've been well reviewed.

I have RC-70 towers
RC LCR center
CR-3 surrounds
s10.3 sub

I also have RC-10's and RC Minis in another setup.

The C-R100 surrounds are a lower end Connoisseur line but I'm sure they'll work fine.

The RC-30 towers are smaller than my RC-70's but are still good sounding. The RC speaker line is over 10 years old, maybe 12 years but if in good shape would be good. They have very good build quality.

just pricing things from past ebay sales

RC-30 pair $300
RC-LCR $300+ (very hard to find and in demand, I'd like another one some day if around $200)
S10.3 sub $125 (someone is asking $199, doubt he'll get it)
C-R100 $150 (I wouldn't pay that much)

So $750 is a good deal, not great. $650 would be a smoking deal considering their age. Your Denon receiver would work fine with them, I use Denon receivers with my Energy speakers

The guy that compared them to white van speakers has no idea what he was talking about.

Excuse me ? 🧐 I believe I did say I could be wrong in his initial post he didn’t say anything about being the brand Energy which I know is a real brand so .. plus fb marketplace has a bunch of fake home theater speakers on there trying to sell for a lot of money

·
Registered
28,455 Posts
Sorry your feelings are hurt but it doesn't take much to Google RC-30 speakers or Reference Connoisseur speakers.

yes, the OP should have mentioned the Energy brand but to assume they could be white van speakers was careless on your part.

Reactions: Lp85253 and sigpig

·
Registered
297 Posts
Sorry your feelings are hurt but it doesn't take much to Google RC-30 speakers or Reference Connoisseur speakers.

yes, the OP should have mentioned the Energy brand but to assume they could be white van speakers was careless on your part.
Feelings are just fine thanks lol aye aye captain I’ll google everything from now on ! Nothing was careless people like you smh to the op sorry for going off topic if you want them,get them but to me that’s seems a bit much for a 10-12 year old speaker set have a nice day everyone

·
Registered
16,967 Posts

C-R100 rear speaker pair
S-10.3 Subwoofer

Pioneer SP-FS52 pair
Pioneer SP-C22
Pioneer SP-BS22 pair
Dayton 1200
$750 fpr that Energy setup is a solid deal.

But if it were me, I'd spend your $750 on upgrading your sub and especially the center speaker...those are your current setup's biggest weak spots, and coincidentally, the two most important elements of any HT setup.

Monolith 10" THX sub = $500 (Amazon)
Emotiva C1+ center = $250 shipped

or, if you're ok with the Dayton sub, I'd get a second one and splurge on an Emotiva C2 ($400) if HT/TV is your main usage.

·
Registered
890 Posts

C-R100 rear speaker pair
S-10.3 Subwoofer

Pioneer SP-FS52 pair
Pioneer SP-C22
Pioneer SP-BS22 pair
Dayton 1200

That's a nice setup and they would be a great upgrade from your Pioneer's. $750 seems a bit much though. $600 would be a great buy.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
$750 fpr that Energy setup is a solid deal.

But if it were me, I'd spend your $750 on upgrading your sub and especially the center speaker...those are your current setup's biggest weak spots, and coincidentally, the two most important elements of any HT setup.

Monolith 10" THX sub = $500 (Amazon)
Emotiva C1+ center = $250 shipped

or, if you're ok with the Dayton sub, I'd get a second one and splurge on an Emotiva C2 ($400) if HT/TV is your main usage.
So those are 4 ohm speakers and if I'm not mistaken I won't really be able to drive those w/out running my 1913 into the ground. Can't really argue that new center would be nice lol.

Skipping the new set of all around speakers and getting a better sub was also an idea, would dropping down to a 10'' of better quality actually increase performance? Being used in probably the worst sound balanced room ever, about 15' x 15' x 7' ceiling, attached dining room to one side, house is pier and beam so no concrete floor.

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
So those are 4 ohm speakers and if I'm not mistaken I won't really be able to drive those w/out running my 1913 into the ground. Can't really argue that new center would be nice lol.

Skipping the new set of all around speakers and getting a better sub was also an idea, would dropping down to a 10'' of better quality actually increase performance? Being used in probably the worst sound balanced room ever, about 15' x 15' x 7' ceiling, attached dining room to one side, house is pier and beam so no concrete floor.
Naw, that 4 ohm impedance spec is meaningless---I used to run the C1 with a $229 Panasonic receiver circa 2003 that is rated down only to 6 ohms, and it never even got warm.

As long as you're not a volume freak trying to shake the paint off your walls, you'll be fine.

The Dayton 1200 sub is not bad for the $120-150 starter sub price range, but it's not anywhere near the same performance league as the Monolith sub.

Another great option, if you are ok with paying an extra $100 just to keep the same 12" woofer size, would be:

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/LV12F.html
or
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
FWIW....my past set up consisted of rc30s, rc LCR and Axiom q4s... surrounds.

I can certainly vouch for the RC products built under the API banner...iirc....my 30s listed $1200.00cdn...under the Klipsch banner they rebranded most of the RC line and made them more affordable...fyi...I preferred them over the PSB....image series at time...which are still highly thought of...in most circles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts