AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a question. I have read in several places on this forum that once you have calibrated your speakers you turn the volume to 0 on the receiver and this should equate to volumes at "reference level." As the thread title indicates I have an Onkyo tx-sr506 receiver. I have run the audessy calibration setup.

However when I go to select the recover volume my range is from minimum -100 where minimum is completely silent and 50 tends to be what seems normal.

I know that my receiver is entry level and might not be capable of "reference level" sound but just wanted to ask whether there was a setting I haven't set correctly.

·
Premium Member
92,611 Posts
AVRs will generally have two volume scales that can be selected .... (1) an "absolute" scale which simply goes from 0-100 (or 99) in which case 80 would be considered "reference" volume, and (2) a "relative" scale which goes from something like -79db to +18db where 0db would be considered "reference" volume and the master volume level is "relative" to the reference volume (eg. a volume level of -20db would be 20db lower than the reference volume of 0db). Check your Owner's manual to see if you have the option to select the "relative" scale.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts