AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain reference levels to me? I have a Sony Bravia V4100. What should I use Standard, Intermediate, or Expanded? Does it make a difference depending on what I have my TVs Black Corrector (low) option set to for the Xbox 360's input?

I just got an Xbox 360 and currently have it set to Expanded with the Colour Space set to "Source". It all looked great until I got to a part of Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts that takes place at night (really early on. Just started. Nutty Acres; Act 3). I could barely see anything. If it wasn't for a tiny little bit of light and colour that was reflecting off of Banjo I would have been...well...left in the dark.

I'm connected over HDMI. What should I have it set to? I read that Expanded was best for HDTVs. But then I read somewhere else that it should only be used if I'm using VGA. I can turn the Black Corrector to off if that's needed.

Thanks.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Use Standard. I'm no expert so I won't make a fool of myself explaining the difference between RGB 16-235 and RGB 0-255 and video levels and PC levels so I'll just say use Standard and it should stop crushing blacks. I'll let someone else explain the workings of it all.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Solved it. I did a little more fact finding and I saw a few people say to just set it to standard if you don't feel like recalibrating based on expanded. I have no problem recalibrating, so I did. I didn't change much. The brightness was just bumped up five points from before.

I tried it back on standard (before I bumped the brightness) and the end result during the night scene looked about the same as what I came up with now. So, I'm content.

I recently moved my TV. I guess I should've calibrated again after doing that.

Thank you for your help. If anyone wants to jump in and correct me, go right ahead

1 - 3 of 3 Posts