AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fine folks of Avs forum. I found a seller willing to part with a Marantz SR19 integrated amplifier receiver ($200) that I'd like to run my audio home theater setup through. The amp would be required to handle Music (blues, classic rock, etc.) 50% of the time and audio for Blu-Ray movies 50% of the time. I would also stream Apple Lossless and 320kbps songs from iTunes through an Apple TV connected to one of the SR19's optical inputs.

Is this possible and even a good idea to use this classic high quality recevier with a modern Blu-Ray player? I understand I wouldn't be able to or wouldn't want to pass video through this receiver but I could run an hdmi from my blu-ray player to my 46" Sony television and a TOSLINK from the Blu-ray player to the Marantz receiver. So the receiver was handling the Blu-Ray audio only, while the picture was sent directly to the TV. Sorry, I don't know the proper terms for this...

My speaker setup would be two-channel for now (B&W 805 Matrix speakers) and possibly add a center channel in the future.

I am interested in this receiver because the seller is letting it go for around $200, and because it is known for it's excellent reference sound quality (originally about $1,700 new in it's day). My budget is about $350 or less, so I don't know that I could buy a new unit of any brand that would give me the sound quality that this one would in my price range, although I'd love to entertain some opinions. I'd obviously consider other used models as well.

The Marantz is THX certified with Dolby Digital and DTS with 96/24 audio capability and 120watts per channel into 5 channels. Would I be able to get great sound to Blu-Ray's full capability's without DTS-HD and some of the other features I see on more modern equipment? How about for SACD playback, would that sound with this type of setup?

Thought I'd run this setup by the smart folks here at the forum to see if this is a good idea or if anyone has any suggestions.

Thank you kindly in advance for your advice!

More info on the SR-19:
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/ampli...5_2718crx.aspx

My Setup would be:

Sony BDP-S580 Blu-ray Disc Player

Sony BRAVIA KDL46EX523 46-Inch

Marantz SR-19

Apple TV

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

I used a Marantz SR-19EX this Summer while my HDMI AVR was in the shop and did exactly as you described. However, I do not use the Amplification in any AVR due to using Electrostatic Speakers.

That being said, the Marantz Reference Series AVR's were well built. I am not sure how much more power the 19EX has over the 19 as the EX is THX Ultra and the 19 is THX Select. Also, the EX stepped up to 24/192 Burr Brown DAC's.

I would actually consider the Marantz SR-6004 from Accessories4less. Here is the link: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

Audyssey MultEQ is a game changer and having the AVR decoding the latest Codecs is a nice thing to have as well. While more expensive, you will have a Warranty, it is hugely discounted, and the 19 is really getting long in the tooth.

AD

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiodork /forum/post/20868478

Hello,

I used a Marantz SR-19EX this Summer while my HDMI AVR was in the shop and did exactly as you described. However, I do not use the Amplification in any AVR due to using Electrostatic Speakers.

That being said, the Marantz Reference Series AVR's were well built. I am not sure how much more power the 19EX has over the 19 as the EX is THX Ultra and the 19 is THX Select. Also, the EX stepped up to 24/192 Burr Brown DAC's.

I would actually consider the Marantz SR-6004 from Accessories4less. Here is the link: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

Audyssey MultEQ is a game changer and having the AVR decoding the latest Codecs is a nice thing to have as well. While more expensive, you will have a Warranty, it is hugely discounted, and the 19 is really getting long in the tooth.

AD

Thank you for your very informed suggestions. Much appreciated. I don't actually have any 24/192 music to play and since I'm standardized on iTunes which I don't believe supports it. Perhaps the DAC is just so much better that it's worth it for the EX. At any rate you make some valid points. I'll look into the SR6004. It's out of budget, but we'll see... Thanks.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelob  /t/1356437/reference-marantz-sr-19-with-a-modern-blu-ray-player#post_22691422

If you buy a decent blu ray like the oppo, the blue ray can decode the latest codecs via analog outputs to the marantz, just need to buy 6 extra audio cables.
Agreed I'm using an old Krell Showcase processor w/an Oppo 83SE. They are hooked up to the Analogue inputs of the Krell from the Oppo. The results are excellent. The HDMI goes straight to my Pioneer Elite for the picture.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.