AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having recently finished my HT (or at least completed to the point I can watch movies), I've been greatly enjoying watching movies and HDTV. But like any HT enthusiest, I've started to pick apart certain parts of the picture. Now, I'm still extremely satisfied with the picture as are all my guests who are blown away. But, I still wonder if everything is tweaked to perfection.

Here's my setup:

Panasonic 75u with Hoya FL-D

Panasonic RP56 with Canare breakout to Component

Scientific America HDTV box

Denon AV3802

Da-Lite HCCV 110" diag Permwall

I'm piping the RP56 Component and SAHDTV Component through the video select of the Denon AV3802 to RGB1 on the 75u. RGB2 is occupied by straight VGA from a DreamCast console.

As noted, I'm still extremely happy the the PJ, but lately I've noticed a few things and was wondering what I'm actually seeing. And, I'm wondering if these are DVD transfer related, PJ related, Passing thru the Denon related or something else. I'll reference specific sources where applicable:

1) Digital movies: Shrek, Ice Age, and Monster's Inc look incredible as expected.

2) Static Dark Scene. In the lower left of the screen, about 6" in diameter, appears a very faint bright spot. I can only see it when sitting in the darkness for the length of a movie and my eyes have adjusted. I usually can only see it at the end of a move during the credit roll, when the background is Black. I have to concentrate to see it, but it is there. I can't see it at all with anything other than a completely black screen. Is this a dreaded "Dust Blob", smudge on the lens or filter, or what?

3) Ocean's 11....Is it the transfer on this DVD or my setup? The whole movie while enjoyable was extremely dark with no shadow detail whatsoever. I haven't had this problem with other Dark movies like Blade II. But watching O11, there were scenes where the actors were talking, and you couldn't make out one side of their face in a full on profile.

4) Moulon Rouge....During the opening "Can-Can" number, on closeups of Harry Zigler and some of the dancers, they appear very red and flourescent...Almost to the point of blooming. Like way too much brightness. But then, during Satine's number, she doesn't glow at all, even though the spot light is on her. Is this a problem with Red Push, or is this the way the movie transfer is?

5) HDTV....The PBS 1080i loop looks phenomonal. Like you can walk into the picture. CBS's lineups mostly look great also, but I've noticed lately with Kings of Queens on Monday night, the colors look very saturated, almost cartoonish.

Judging from these observations, is the PJ in need of further calibration, or is some of this source related, or a combo of both. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Hmm, I found Oceans Eleven to have shadow detail. Using an AE100 here.

That bright spot you mention sounds like it could be a smudge or something. Have you checked out the lens to see if any noticeable smudges show up?

It is my understanding that with a dust blob you'd see it all the time and not just on a black bakcground so it would appear thta is not your problem. But if you want to check, defocus the projector and if it comes into focus then it is probably dust...at least that is what I have gathered here from my reading of the problem.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.....

The red in Moulon is so red that it glows, though. Is this normal for the transfer?

Could be a smudge on the lens....Actually, could be one of two lenses I suppose since I'm using the FL-D. What's the best method of cleaning? Standard lint free cloth with some windex or lens cleaner?

I noticed something else for the first time last night....I'm having to use vertical offset of about 5 on my PJ to get it centered in the screen because of my mount height. I guess the only way for the PJ to shift the image is to crop off part of the image, because text at the very bottom of the screen is cut-off. Think I'll have to pull the mount down and add some spacing to get the offset back to 0 :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.