AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at speakers for several months now and have all but decided on Paradigm Studio v3's. So, I'm talking to my brother-in-law who is a recording engineer and he is saying that I'm wasting my money and should just buy some Genelec reference monitors and a decent sub. I don't for a minute believe that all of you would have missed something like this because they are far cheaper than the paradigms. He is saying that ultimately flat response is flat response, which I have seen argued here to some extent. I have not noticed anywhere here where recording studio type monitors have been used for home HT or Music listening though. Any comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Well, your brother-in-law is both correct and incorrect. A good speaker should have flat response but there is more to it than just being flat. Unfortunately, you cannot simply measure a speaker by specifications but need to go and listen to it.

The requirements for studios are different than the requirements for home (in a prior life, I used to be a recording engineer). Studio speakers should be accurate (but many aren't) and completely uncolored (again, many aren't). However, most studio monitors are designed to be used in the nearfield at the mixing console position. In this listening position (nearfield) at the mixing console in a decent studio, the room has very little effect on how a speaker sounds. Studio monitors are also designed to be accurrate for on-axis listening but off axis is often not a priority. A home listening environment is very different than this and a studio monitor might not be to your liking. Furthermore, studio monitors are used to often listen for flaws in a recording and can sound overly analytical for home use.

That being said, there are numerous speakers out there that work well in both situations. The Genelecs are a good speaker and should not be discounted. Other studio speakers to be considered are ATC, B&W, and Wilson.

As I always suggest, you not only must go listen to them for yourself and make up your own mind but you should take them home and try them in your own home. A speaker will sound different once you get it home and you might find yourself disappointed with your purchase.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.