AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that my list of reference quality DVDs are not movies that both adults AND kids can enjoy:

- Starship Troopers (gory)

- Gladiator (gory)

- Dinasour (great for the kids, but I got bored after 15 minutes)

- Matrix (violence)

- Saving Private Ryan DTS (gory)

- Fifth Element (violence)

I do have Bugs Life and Toy Story 1/2, however I would prefer to not use cartoons to "show-off" my system.

There are lots of movies that the whole family can enjoy (such as Princess Bride), but they are not reference quality.

One that really went over well was "The boy that could fly", but I haven't seen it on DVD.

Suggestions please.

·
Registered
813 Posts
What about "Spy Kids" ?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
What's more important to you, quailty family viewing or reference quality transfers? It's difficult to get both on the same disk. Also, if your not completely against purchasing 4x3 programming on dvd, I would suggest Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (with Dick Van **** from the 1960's). Not a bad transfer and great family entertainment, especially if you like musicals.

Ken

·
Registered
83 Posts
You may want to take a look at Stuart Little and Fly Away Home (widescreen edition). Some of the outdoor scenes in Fly Away Home are breathtaking.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mit_hd
You may want to take a look at Stuart Little and Fly Away Home (widescreen edition). Some of the outdoor scenes in Fly Away Home are breathtaking.
I forgot about Stuart Little, excellent film and a reference indeed.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Dude stop saying spy kids is reference quality! It is not even close to it. To much EE. The picture quality wasnt very good at all!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I know you are not fond of animated, but how about "Chicken Run"? Video was excellent as well as very good audio. A really good workout for any display device alternating between night ( black level detail ) and day ( bright vibriant sky ).

cheers

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
It's not released yet, but there is a new anaomorphic "SE" of Tron comming out soon. I have no idea if it will be refrence, but we can always hope.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Has anyone seen the new release of the Widescreen Willy Wonka yet? I'm glad I was part of the internet protest that forced them into releasing a widescreen version. I would like to know how it came out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
It's a 4:3 (original, made for tv presentation) but The 10th Kingdom has outstanding video quality.

Aside from some minor EE, Just Visiting is very nice. Though, it might have too much violence. From memory, the level of violence was mostly light hearted if not humorous, but I could be forgetting something.

The Addam's Family is one of the better releases that I've seen from Paramount. Other than some EE that is only easily visible in a handful of scenes, the transfer is top notch. Rich colors and very deep blacks create an impressive sense of depth to the picture. The audio is also very dynamic with a load of deep bass output. Review

Chad

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Um...Cain, actually he listed Saving Private Ryan as a reference quality DVD that is NOT a movie that both adults AND kids can enjoy.

·
Premium Member
16,962 Posts
Cats and Dogs. Widescreen version.

Milo & Ottis is another excellent family movie. Stunning quality in widescreen as well.

·
Registered
588 Posts
How about My Dog Skip? I don't know if it was reference quality, but it was a good family picture. Can anyone comment on the PQ? -Pat

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Pay It Forward

I thought the transfer as well as the cinematography were good. The story is cute too. I think the OSCARS went to K.Spacey for the wrong film. Instead of American Beauty, this film should have been noted.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
For a kid of the 80's...

Goonies (PG)

Don't know if it's refrence quality, but looks great on my HDTV.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Animation or not- they seem to sport the best transfers:

Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Shrek, Bug's Life (16:9 Version), Chicken Run. Prince of Egypt

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Brunsiv... yes, you are right... great transfers... but they are animated. The point of the original post was "family oriented but not cartoons to show off the high end system."

Gladiator doesn't count. Toy Story and Shrek don't count.

:)

:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.