AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MOVIE TIME STAMPS FOR REFERENCE QUALITY MOVIES

PROLOGUE
While discussing on the basseq forum a few members got talking and realized there is no thread that has a time stamped version of movies which can cause soundgasms. This thread mainly chooses to entangle the following people:
Most of us have heard the term "Reference discs" and want to know what part in the disc matches the reference quality.​
At times we have friends who come over and want to hear some great sights and sounds for boasting and gain bragging rights about your system.​
Personally, I just like hearing great clips as it raise my hair and in turn happiness. At those times, it's difficult to remember where to look and what time the great sound clip existed.​
The Dolby/DTS demo discs are at times difficult to obtain for most people and they anyways have movie clips that we already own​
People looking to add some great discs to their collection​

OBJECTIVE
While the project will take a long time to become substantial and have a great database, but I guess someone has to bite the bullet.
First and foremost mention to @giomania who started an excel sheet about movies and all credit to him for pushing me into this for sure. The master doc made by him can be accessed here.
Based on his excel I propose the following.
◘ Movie + version + release date
◘ Sub Category (Bass/Surround/Overhead/Object based)
BassEQ used/Not used.
◘ ULF in the content (Y/N) freq tba
◘ Chapter/Time Stamp (from-to)
Tactile Respose/BOSS (Y/N)
◘ Any other suggestion people make.

PS These posts will be edited and change over a period of time. I would like to put a disclaimer. All contributors are welcome for helping each other through this thread.

edit 10/06/20 1553Z Google drive master document attached

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reserved for future posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
This is not a speaker/subwoofer brands battlefield. I believe all subwoofers, processors,AVR and speakers are great and if they weren't their respective companies would have shut down.
THE AUTHORS/CONTRIBUTORS ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED TO YOU OR YOUR SYSTEM
SOME BLURAYS HAVE EXCESS VOLUME ADDED INTO THE MIX WHICH MAY CAUSE OVERHEATING OF AVR OR DISTORTION IN SPEAKERS. AT THE FIRST SIGN STOP CONTINUING THE PLAYBACK.
So I'll recommend reading the specs of the components of your system, see what it is capable of and the limits should not be exceeded willingly. As the bass eq thread suggest, start at a lower MV and thereafter increase the volume to a higher than normal level for best results. I personally start with a MV of -5.0 from my normal listening volume even with a lot of headroom on my speakers/subs.

HEARING LOUD SOUNDS AT HIGHER THAN NORMAL VOLUMES MAY CAUSE DIZZINESS/SICKNESS/DISORIENTATION
Please visit a physician and ask for advise before continuing further

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Last reserve I promise.

This will also serve as my thoughts post. I'll try to be as honest as possible and hope to upkeep the thread as far as possible.
Shoutout to
@PioManiac for creating the BassEQ thread and making everyone's movie experience so much better
@3ll3d00d and @aron7awol for working towards awesome xml and softwares making it so much easier for the rest of us to enjoy the BassEQ.
@giomania obviously for giving the initial idea and content.
@SuperFist being the last nail in the coffin. :D. Had he not commented on my request for the irreversible BassEQ request with so much enthusiasm, I'd probably never start this.

·
Premium Member
4,312 Posts
Am I missing it, or is there no link to the spreadsheet via Google Drive? The reason why I created a spreadsheet was to avoid having to comb through threads, allow it to be sorted and searched, etc.. That said, I created it for myself, and decided to share it, much like I do with the other docs and guides I have created.

I am just wondering what your ultimate plan is, as I didn't get that from skimming the posts. For me, I welcome a single place for data mining this information. :)

Thanks.

Mark

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Am I missing it, or is there no link to the spreadsheet via Google Drive? The reason why I created a spreadsheet was to avoid having to comb through threads, allow it to be sorted and searched, etc.. That said, I created it for myself, and decided to share it, much like I do with the other docs and guides I have created.

I am just wondering what your ultimate plan is, as I didn't get that from skimming the posts. For me, I welcome a single place for data mining this information. :)

Thanks.

Mark
Hey Mark.
Yes forgot that part. The link has been added in the first post. I was of the opinion that document will be maintained only by you for now and we shall keep updating it as and how things come together. That will be like a master document available to anyone needing it. Also I aim to post timestamp movie wise for people so they can click the hyperlink and go straight to the movie post on this forum itself than having to go into google drive. Also the submissions by anyone can be made here which will be hyperlinked in the first/second third post, much like the BEQ thread.
two options are better than one. Plus we can ensure a quality control in the master doc that ways.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

◘ EDGE OF TOMORROW
DTS HDMA 7.1​
28/May/2014​
◘ Thanks @giomania
◘ BASS
BassEQ N/A​
Tactile Respose/BOSS Y​
◘ ULF in the content Y
◘ 00:00:20 to 00:00:44

Use caution with woofer, ULF frequencies go down to 4Hz and not all subwoofers may be capable of playing these frequencies.

·
Premium Member
4,312 Posts
Hey Mark.
Yes forgot that part. The link has been added in the first post. I was of the opinion that document will be maintained only by you for now and we shall keep updating it as and how things come together. That will be like a master document available to anyone needing it. Also I aim to post timestamp movie wise for people so they can click the hyperlink and go straight to the movie post on this forum itself than having to go into google drive. Also the submissions by anyone can be made here which will be hyperlinked in the first/second third post, much like the BEQ thread.
two options are better than one. Plus we can ensure a quality control in the master doc that ways.
Cool.

You got me thinking, and BEQ heat map links might be useful as well; I may add them to my spreadsheet at some point.

Mark

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

◘ DEADPOOL
ATMOS/TRUEHD 7.1​
09/FEB/2016​
◘ Thanks @giomania & SELF
◘ ATMOS/SURROUND
BassEQ Y​
Tactile Respose/BOSS Y​
◘ ULF in the content N/A
◘ 00:07:05 to 00:09:05

WAARNING STRONG LANGUAGE: Not suitable for kids. Deadpool is breaking the fourth wall and talking to the audience when he sees the cars. Suddenly the camera goes to Road level and the overheads light up. A really great scene which lights up speakers very precisely to engulf you in the middle of the action.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool.

You got me thinking, and BEQ heat map links might be useful as well; I may add them to my spreadsheet at some point.

Mark
Yes. That'd be great. I'll avoid it here, since it'll just be redundant information already present in the Bass EQ thread. Hope the format looks OK. I'll Keep adding movies in this format.
Also you may update the deadpool info on your master list.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

◘ TRANSFORMERS: DARK OF THE MOON
ATMOS/TRUEHD 7.1​
28/Jun/2011​
BassEQ Y​
Tactile Respose/BOSS Y​
◘ SURROUND
◘ ULF in the content N
◘ Chapter 1 00:00:02 to 00:00:15

The opening scene has the paramount stars flying all around you starting from FR to FWR to SR to SBR to SBL to SL to FWL to FL. One of my early demo materials

◘ SURROUND/ATMOS/BASS
◘ ULF in the content N
◘ Chapter 1 00:00:40 to 00:02:02

Once Optimus Prime starts describing the situation faint guns can be heard on the SL and SBL speakers. Once the commentary is over a ship flies overhead lighting the speakers up. The chase scene is really engrossing ends with one ship getting shot.

◘ SURROUND/ATMOS/BASS
◘ ULF in the content Y
◘ Chapter 1 00:08:33 to 00:08:52

The introduction of title is preceded by lot of mechanical and tight sounds. Lights up the whole room. Careful about the Master Volume.

◘ SURROUND/ATMOS/BASS
◘ ULF in the content Y
◘ Chapter 14 01:30:15 to 01:30:32

Starscream blows up a satellite.

◘ SURROUND/ATMOS/BASS
◘ ULF in the content Y
◘ Chapter 14 01:30:15 to 01:30:32

Probably the easiest in the list to listen to some great bass. Most transformers have LFE in their voice so when they speak, the woofers are working. Also some close up slow transformations are particularly very good

◘ SURROUND/ATMOS/BASS
◘ ULF in the content Y
◘ Chapter 16 01:47:55 to 01:48:32

Optimus is ambushed by Shockwave. Some over the top LFE and surrounds.

◘ SURROUND/ATMOS/BASS
◘ ULF in the content Y
◘ Chapter 17 01:50:00 to 02:23:04

Typical Micheal Bay fashion big bang battles with unnecessary scenes making the leads be part of the battle. TBH in these scenes a city (Chicago) is destroyed and a planet (Cybertron) is summoned. Practically one of the longest reference clip out there.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Good job
this looks to have the makings of a great thread thumbs up for adding before and after BEQ heatmaps
who doesn't like to have info on killer demo scenes

on that note unless I missed it it has been a while since AVS have produced a demo disc?
other than Dolby I certainly haven't seen a ATMOS version

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good job

this looks to have the makings of a great thread thumbs up for adding before and after BEQ heatmaps

on that note unless I missed it it has been a while since AVS have produced a demo disc?

Thank you. Please make suggestions if you want to add subtract anything in the content thus far. Obviously certain movies have a lot of scenes which maybe difficult to cover, but I shall keep watching/reading, cross check myself and add. Others may utilize this format or DM me scenes from movies they'd want to add.

Sent from my HD1911 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Thank you. Please make suggestions if you want to add subtract anything in the content thus far. Obviously certain movies have a lot of scenes which maybe difficult to cover, but I shall keep watching/reading, cross check myself and add. Others may utilize this format or DM me scenes from movies they'd want to add.

I would say take Baby steps at the moment
I am certain things will be refined as more people subscribe and digest how things are presented

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

◘ 13 HOURS: THE SECRET SOLDIERS OF BENGHAZI‎
ATMOS/TRUEHD 7.1​
13/jAN/2016​
BassEQ Y​
Tactile Respose/BOSS Y​

◘ Thanks @giomania
◘ SURROUND/BASS/ATMOS
◘ ULF in the content Y
◘ 00:42:28 to 00:46:20

Gunfire and RPGs of militia forces attack the secret CIA base. Definitely good stuff to check your subwoofers.

◘ Thanks @giomania
◘ SURROUND/ATMOS/BASS
◘ ULF in the content y
◘ 01:31:50 to 01:34:03

More gunfire as the militia return.

·
Premium Member
4,312 Posts
Good job

There is a 2019 Reelwood, but they are just demo files, not a disc.

·
Premium Member
4,312 Posts
Yes. That'd be great. I'll avoid it here, since it'll just be redundant information already present in the Bass EQ thread. Hope the format looks OK. I'll Keep adding movies in this format.
Also you may update the deadpool info on your master list.
Chapter numbers would also be useful, but most likely if I have the movie, I will demo the scene and get the chapter number. I have an OPPO UDP-203, which can go either directly to a chapter or a specific time stamp. Also, keep in mind that for me, I don't care about having a time stamps start or end on :00, :05, etc.. I only get the time stamps for where it makes sense to start or stop the scene.

My ultimate goal was to take the best demo scenes, and extract them from the movies, just like they have done when they make the demo discs in the past. So, while some of these clips may already exist in the prior demo discs / files provided by AVS Forum members, I was going to add the Bass EQ into the clips, which is a big deal in a lot of these movies.

Mark

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Chapter numbers would also be useful, but most likely if I have the movie, I will demo the scene and get the chapter number. I have an OPPO UDP-203, which can go either directly to a chapter or a specific time stamp. Also, keep in mind that for me, I don't care about having a time stamps start or end on :00, :05, etc.. I only get the time stamps for where it makes sense to start or stop the scene.
Yes. Got it. I'll get to it

My ultimate goal was to take the best demo scenes, and extract them from the movies, just like they have done when they make the demo discs in the past. So, while some of these clips may already exist in the prior demo discs / files provided by AVS Forum members, I was going to add the Bass EQ into the clips, which is a big deal in a lot of these movies.

Mark
The problem with remuxing the movie tracks with basseq as listed in the thread was the inability to get atmos output.

·
Registered
15,349 Posts
Although first used in Alien when the Nostromo blew up, the Praxis Effect was named after this scene and was later copied by Lucas for the "new" version of the Death Star's explosion. Youtube is of course just stereo but in DD 5.1 the wave sweeps through the room, front to back, and it blows people away:

Conveniently it is the movie's opening scene so all you do is load the disc and hit play.

Reactions: giomania and BhootZ
1 - 20 of 33 Posts