AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a NEC 9PG Xtra in a small room (about 12' x 12' x 8'), and I'd like to cut down on the light reflected in my room. Even after I painted my room with flat black paint, a lot of light is still reflected back to the screen.

I'm sure the size of my small room isn't helping, since the screen must be relatively close to the walls and ceiling, but I was wondering if there were any options to cut down reflected light that didn't cost a fortune. What methods have you guys tried and found to be successful?

Dylan

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I'm using masking velvet from Dazian. Its about 10.25/yard, but is 60" wide on the roll. This stuff soaks up light like a sponge, and does a great job of keeping it from going anyplace. Expensive, but may help when used at the critical light bouncing positions in the room. (Remember light bounces on a 90 degree angle.)

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I want some of that too Spearce, because I'm pretty sure it bounces off at the same angle it hits the surface. At least that what my physics professor said. (disclaimer: I did drugs then)

:D

Clay

·
Registered
462 Posts
"the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection."

It's taken twenty years but that little gem from high school finally came in useful. Still waiting to find a use for the algebra. :)

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
You should be able to get 'black velveteen' from any fabrics shop for less than 6 bucks a metre, it also soaks up light very well. Plus the fabric shop can probably make it into curtains for you very cheaply.

It is cheaper usually if you buy the whole roll too.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Where is the best place to use the velveteen in a normal lounge room? I have a problem with my image looked washed out on scenes with a high average brightness. Looking around the room it seems that the white ceiling between the projector and the screen is lit up quite a bit.

Aaron

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
One real cheap fabric you can use is trunk liner. It's black and it lets some of the light pass right through it. Having passed through the fabric, there is no way it will make it back to the screen.

Deron.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Yeh, just hang a black velvet faux ceiling partway back from the screen. It'll cut down the reflections off the ceiling, which is my current biggest problem as well, but I live in an apartment and have already broken any number of rules. You don't have to go far back from the screen probably to get the majority of the light, particularly the light that will make it to the viewing area.

Another common solution is to place the screen in a recessed, velvet lined area, where the the screen is at the top of a frustrum shaped section (meaning the top of a cut off pyramid.) The recessed area, being pyramid shaped, flairs outwards a little as it comes out, so it never cuts off any line of sight to the screen. But it prevents the light from hitting the side walls and ceiling until it's further back into the room, because it corrals the light into a tighter pattern coming off the screen. If you push it back far enough that it hits behind or off to the side of the viewing position, it keeps that light from getting to the viewing position, and darkens the area from the viewing position to the screen, which helps a lot.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Dgaff

I have a almost identical set up as you,what I did was to paint the walls a deep purple:just a bit darker than the scoll bars on this web page.

Then,as this room is basically a lounge room,I ran white curtain wire down the room attached as closely as possible to the ceiling,I have lenghts of black velveteen attached at both ends,when movie time occurs I just pull the material across the ceiling,total light control that is reversable and leaves the ceiling white for day to day use.

Its very cheap and very effective.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WanMan
Me, too. Spearce, what drugs have you gotten into?
They are called "stupid pills" and they make you forget your high school physics classes. Which is awesome, because high school physics is useless, and its much better to just be stupid and randomly post crap. :D

Clearly I was incorrect, light bounces at the angle it hits the surface at. It only bounces at a 90 degree angle if it is 45 degrees off the source when it hits. Thanks for the correction folks. :)

And now back to helping the original poster. :)

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Youch, then I'm in pretty bad shape, as I'm both married and on stupid pills. I guess I should visit my doctor and get my prescription changed to anti-marriage pills to see if I can correct this problem. :)

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by spearce
Clearly I was incorrect, light bounces at the angle it hits the surface at. It only bounces at a 90 degree angle if it is 45 degrees off the source when it hits.
True if we're talking about a perfect mirror surface, but our walls are not (full of bumps and pits) - they're imperfect surfaces so light tends to scatter a bit no matter what the angle is.

As for cutting reflections more then just using flat black paint, velvet is the best idea (or get 'velveteen' - it actually has less sheen and is cheaper).

I use velveteen around the screen to soak up a little bit of overscan to get a nice crisp edge to the image. Then I use accoustic tiles covered with black speaker cloth all around the screen for the first 4' into the room on the walls and ceiling - this works extremely well for cutting light reflection. See my sig for pics and construction details (though the pics only show the screen wall covered - I've extended this to the ceiling and more of the side wall).

Kal

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Nice theatre Kal - What are the dimensions of that room BTW?

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dokworm
Nice theatre Kal - What are the dimensions of that room BTW?
Thanks! As for the dimensions, it's a big L-shaped area that's approx 30' deep (screen to back wall) by 20-25' wide (DVD storage area to the the right speaker). It's a good portion of the entire basement.

KAl

·
Registered
767 Posts
ROFLMAO

Quote:
Originally posted by WanMan
I hear being married offers the same results without the prescription.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Crushed velvet should be OK, at 5 bucks a yard, get a piece and try it out.

Velveteen should be $5 or less a yard at 60" wide at any fabric store though. There should be no shortage of fabric stores in PA?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.