AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought a Sony W850B and set it up last night. I'm coming from a Panny ST60 and wanted something for a bright living room. So I got the W850B because I game as well and it has a semi-glossy screen. But I noticed a lot of reflection. My wife who is not in to this stuff at all even mentioned that reflection was bad.

So I looked in to it and found this link. http://www.rtings.com/info/reflections-tvs-matte-and-glossy I thought my ST60 would have been bad but it was at .8%. This W850B even with a semi-glossy screen is at 1.7%. The other TV I was considering, the Samsung 7150, is at .7% even with a glossy screen.

So what do I do? Do I just get used to having more reflection? Or do I exchange it for a 7150? The reason why I chose the W850B at the store was because the image quality seemed about the same but the Sony's lag time was half of the Sammy. But if I can cut reflection in half then it might be worth it.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I'm in the same boat, I'm looking for a TV for a condo, and it'll have to go right next to very bright windows.. I'm also considering the Sony or the H7150.

What the hell are they thinking... I don't want to use it to see myself shaving in the morning. :rolleyes:

And that website is a gold mine, thanks!

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Sharp is about the only panel builder that makes zero glossy panels (Elite was but no longer produced) or anyone using their glass (like Vizio with some models). SharpUSA confirmed to me that they presently produce no glossy panels.

I have a south facing sun filled room in FL and my Samsung can be very reflective in daytime hours depending on chosen seat position. On Cloudy days (which are rare here) or evenings I have ZERO reflections with the Ultra Clear panel.

However, I've own a Panny Plasma long ago that was a 24/7 mirror and useless during daytime viewing but newer versions added some anti-reflective treatments but the plasma was totally useless in my Sunny room and I hated it for numerous other reasons and got rid of it a week later. In addition to plasma mirror look it also would washout from the sun about 85% and viewing a dark movie or Video Game was useless to try.

I've gotten used to the temporary reflections with the Samsung but I do miss the Sharp I had which had ZERO reflections and had a more peer into a window nature but the Samsung has more PQ Pop. Trying to find a true anti-reflective high end panel is tough since Samsung has set the bar with Ultra Clear and 2015 JS9500 now has a "Pro" version of UC which I have no idea of the difference.

You could try a UD27 Sharp. Or get used to the daytime reflections of Samsung depending on your viewing room lighting situation.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts