AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was playing some Christmas music for the kids today and the speaker was popping real bad. I have a set of bookshelf Advents that I have owned for the last 16-17 years that I use for music listening in the den.

I have played them fairly loud with no issues (I have 2 small girls who love to dance) but this morning they sounded awful above 3 on the dial.

I took the covers off to find this (see attachment). I found out that Advents seem to be needing to be "refoamed". I have ZERO desire to want to take this on myself. They are 6.5 inch woofers (both are torn). How much am I looking at for a bill?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Don't be too intimidated to do it yourself. I recently decided to use some vintage speakers I had sitting around unused for 20 years. Of course, I discovered they needed re-foaming. Since I'm not particularly handy with projects like that, I was very hesitant to attack the project. However, after googling around, I decided to attempt it. There are a couple of very helpful videos I found which made the task much less daunting. I figured if I goofed up, I could always send them off for a professional to re-foam them.

My wife and I re-foamed the two woofers in an hour or so. Maybe less. I've had them hooked up for a month or two now and couldn't be happier with the results.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks guys. I'll test my "desire" after the holidays. As we speak, I have a set of JBL Pro Monitors that are 30+ years old sitting 2 feet to my right and they are in excellent shape. The fact that the woofer just vanished like that is baffling.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael7272 /forum/post/19593802

I was playing some Christmas music for the kids today and the speaker was popping real bad. I have a set of bookshelf Advents that I have owned for the last 16-17 years that I use for music listening in the den.

I have played them fairly loud with no issues (I have 2 small girls who love to dance) but this morning they sounded awful above 3 on the dial.

I took the covers off to find this (see attachment). I found out that Advents seem to be needing to be "refoamed". I have ZERO desire to want to take this on myself. They are 6.5 inch woofers (both are torn). How much am I looking at for a bill?

Unless you are emotionally attached to these speakers due to some reason, they are not worth re-foaming. Either buy completely new woofers from some place like Parts Express, or just get a new pair of speakers.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Buying new ones is out of the question, I looked at the pricing of getting new woofers. It's cheaper to try the refoaming first. The speakers are in near mint shape, I just think the age is the problem for Advents.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.