AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best protection available from pop up's, virus's(email)? I'm also looking for a firewall. What's the best way to install these, should I do it somehow without going online?

What are the other basics I need like media players ect?

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Are you going to be using the machine for strictly HTPC functions (no regular web browsing or email)? If so, you don't really need AV/Firewall software.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I agree,

Any software that does virus/malware detection will hamper system performance in one way or another, best things to do are:

-Never ever ever use IE unless you trust the site you're going to (Like netflix on demand), always use FireFox (install adblocker if you want, free)

-Never check email on the HTPC using a local client, ESPECIALLY not microsoft clients, use web based email only and never open attachments.

-When you install software do so carefully and sparingly, ask yourself 'Do I really need this software on this machine?' and only do so if you trust the company.

A little prevention is worth way way more then dealing with antivirus software.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
I use ZoneAlarm and using VMC sometimes I can't see the alerts and allow, cause VMC won't minimize. So that causes problems/resources. So whatever you use, I would turn off for the htpc movie time.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I use AVG Internet Security and find that it does not impact my viewing in a significant way (except when it does a full scan -- but I only set that off manually when the HTPC is idle). AVG takes care of my Firewall, Anti-Virus, Spam blocker, Spyware blocker, etc.

I have another PC upstairs for email etc. and since both PCs are on my home LAN, I log into the machine upstairs using Remote Desktop Connection whenever I want to check email etc. from the HTPC.

·
Registered
681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizam /forum/post/14338412

A little prevention is worth way way more then dealing with antivirus software.

For day to day use, run in limited user mode and reserve the admin accounts for installing/reconfiguring software.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Dedicated HTPC: Windows Vista Home Premium (x64)

No extra software as far as anti-virus, spyware, or pop-up blocker.

Runs like a champ.

·
Registered
220 Posts
MS includes a firewall with their OSes. Firefox includes a popup blocker. MS has a malicious software removal tool for free that you can scan every now and then with. As long as you aren't downloading random programs and running them you should be fine enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts