Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 30 GB hard drive that I pulled from a Showstopper when I upgraded to an 80 GB drive.

How do I reformat it so I can use it as a Win2k Drive?

Can I do this when in an external Firewire case or does it need to be connected as an internal drive?

I am using Win2k (SP2) and have Partition Magic 8.

I did try it with PM8 in the Firewire case but PM8 detecteded it but could not do anything.

What do I need to do?

BTW, I have two more 30 GB drives to reformat, unless someone wants to buy them from me as Showstopper drivers.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. So far, the Firewire does not work. I will probably open the main case tomorrow or Tuesday, when I have a few hours to work on it.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I pulled a drive from a TiVo and formatted it as NTFS in my Windows XP computer without problem. I have a spare Showstopper drive and was thinking about using it in a PC and thought I could do the same thing.

Chris

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
I'd think you could just put it in the computer and run the install win2k disc. Then delete any partitions you see(at the proper stage of installing win2k) if needed then create a partition and have it format the partition to NTFS. And that should do it.

If that doesn't work fdisk it from a windows boot floppy or put it in as a second harddrive and boot up the computer and format it there.

If that doesn't work. Get the utility from the hardrive manufacture that LowLevel Formats the drive, BUT I DONT THink YOu WOuld EVer HAve TO GO THat FAr. Low Level Formating isnt that big of a deal, but according to some people it takes some life off the drive. I'm not sure if thats true or not.

good luck

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Partition Magic 8 warns me that the drive is of different geometry - DUH!!!

But it does not let me do anything to it at all.

I guess it is Fdisk time.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Fdisk will give you only FAT; if you want NTFS and your pc runs XP you can do it from there. But note that you have to go to something like the start key/programs/accessories/system tools/disk management to do it (that's from memory -- I don't have XP on this pc so I don't remember the exact names, but you should be able to find it by prowling around in accessories). I don't think you can play with an unformated drive in windows explorer or 'my computer'.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.