AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a Panasonic TH42PD50U and I'm having a lot of eye fatigue on non-HD channels. It's similar to a computer monitor with a low refresh rate. I haven't found anything in the manual that says this can be adjusted -- can it? If not, is this a problem with all ED and HD TVs?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
497 Posts
Interesting, I have the PD50U but I notice more flicker on HD channels than on SD. In fact I was just about to ask why HD programming seems to have a lower effective framerate than SD. HD is leaps and bounds more detailed than SD, but I can really see that it's a series of still frames and not smooth motion. Maybe the low resolution of SD/NTSC provides a motion blur effect. I highly doubt there's any way to adjust refresh, and I don't think there is anything unique about other displays that is likely to improve this.

Maybe I'm really sensitive to frame rate but in general I find traditional TV, and film projection, are really poor at displaying moving images. Fast panning scenes are basically a jittery mess. Especially considering how smooth games are with a good PC and video card, where you can spin around rapidly and the image maintains cohesion and detail. Basically in fast-moving games I find anything less than about 50-60 FPS to be unpleasant. So something like 24 fps or 30 fps really is kind of crummy. Will we ever have display technology for film, tv, et. that support truly high image refresh rates? I think the experience would be much more immersive.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I have a PD50 and have absolutely no flicker on SD or HD channels. Fast scenes in HD are rendered smoothly with no pixelization or jitter. I have seen this phenomena on various HD sets at local stores.

Perhaps this is a source issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_6
Interesting, I have the PD50U but I notice more flicker on HD channels than on SD. In fact I was just about to ask why HD programming seems to have a lower effective framerate than SD. HD is leaps and bounds more detailed than SD, but I can really see that it's a series of still frames and not smooth motion. Maybe the low resolution of SD/NTSC provides a motion blur effect. I highly doubt there's any way to adjust refresh, and I don't think there is anything unique about other displays that is likely to improve this.

Maybe I'm really sensitive to frame rate but in general I find traditional TV, and film projection, are really poor at displaying moving images. Fast panning scenes are basically a jittery mess. Especially considering how smooth games are with a good PC and video card, where you can spin around rapidly and the image maintains cohesion and detail. Basically in fast-moving games I find anything less than about 50-60 FPS to be unpleasant. So something like 24 fps or 30 fps really is kind of crummy. Will we ever have display technology for film, tv, et. that support truly high image refresh rates? I think the experience would be much more immersive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. My current source is coax; I'll try the cable box DVI to HDMI connection next. What's interesting is that I don't see any flicker, but I can feel tension in my eyes. I work in IT, and I've noticed this is always resolved by increasing the refresh rate when it happens on my computer monitor. I'm hoping there's an option for this on the TV, but I haven't found it yet. At the cost of the unit, if I can't resolve this I'll have to return it :(

·
Registered
355 Posts
What size and kind of tv did you have before. I went from a 32" CRT to the 42" panasonic ED and had alot of eye strain. I later swithced to the HD version. I haven't noticed any eye strain in a while. I don't think it has anything to do with SD vs HD or ED vs HD, but b/c my eyes have just gotten used to the bigger, brighter tv now. Just like when I get a new perscription for my glasses. Your eyes will strain until your eyes have gotten used to it.

My parents and my friend both have 53" rear projection tv's and my eyes hurt so bad when watching it in a dark room b/c of its size it gives off so much light.

Your eye fatigue from SD is probably a result of your brain trying to focus on the low res image after watching HD. Give it some time for your eyes to adjust. That's what I did and everything is fine now. I was worried too at the begining. I thought I had just bought a very expensive tv that I can't watch for too long b/c it hurts my eyes.

Also, don't watch tv with the lights too low for a while.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Would the eye strain have anything to do with the brightness? I don't own one but I've been reading up on it and I recall reading somewhere that out of the box, the brightness is set to "torch mode" (The book won't call it this though). From what I understand it should be set to below 50%. The lower that still looks good, the better. It will also extend the half-brightness and reduce any burn-in as I recall.

·
Registered
355 Posts
^^ True. The factory setting will kill your eyes...and the life of your tv. Picture (contrast) and brightness should be at around 50%.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I sure wish these tips made a difference for me, but they just don't. I spoke with Panasonic and they said the refresh rate can't be changed, and had some other suggestions, but no such luck. Looks like I can't do this one and back it goes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm having the same sore eye problem on every HDTV I've tried. I just bought a 42" Sony KDF-E42A10. This time I'm forcing it as as long as I can. I just hope everything gets better before 30 days expire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.