AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The HDMI port on my PS3 just stopped working about 3 weeks ago. I tried the reboot, reformat, etc route to no avail. I even tried TWO different HDMI cables (from monoprice).... neither worked on the PS3 but DID work on a standard DVD player.

I went through the return process (thank you Sony!) and it went smoothly. I received - what appears to be a new 20GB PS3. Didn't look like it had been used before. I hooked it up last night and once again... no HDMI signal. I find it difficult to believe that both PS3 units would have the same problem...so I am sure that my issue is somewhere else........

I tried two HDMI cables that WORK with my DVD player. What's going on here? I have my satellite box hooked through the same HDMI port and it works fine.

I guess my next step would be to try and find somebody with a HDMI enabled TV with their own HDMI cables and try it that way. It's just bizzare though... it worked for an entire year and then just stopped one day.

Do HDMI cables "kind of" go bad? Why would they work with one source and not another? I find it hard to believe that TWO HDMI cables that work with other sources will not work with the PS3. The HDMI port on the TV works... I just can't figure it out.

Does anyone have any thoughts? They would be well received I promise you.....

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Did you try hooking it up with the composite cables, going into the video settings, and turning on HDMI output from there? The PS3 should auto-detect when you've got HDMI plugged in but maybe the new 20GB you recieved has an older version of firmware without this feature.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that's the way I started. Composite cables, switched to HDMI under the video settings and I'm getting nothing. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
try leaving the ps3 turned on and turn the tv off and back on with the hdmi input selected sounds like a "handshake" issue maybe something that coincided with the new firmware release for the PS3?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by getme /forum/post/12929660

try leaving the ps3 turned on and turn the tv off and back on with the hdmi input selected sounds like a "handshake" issue maybe something that coincided with the new firmware release for the PS3?

Yup spunds like a handshaking issue, i had the same issue once but it never happened again after that.

Either turn the tv on and of while having the PS3 running, or hold down the power button on the PS3 untill you hear 3 beeps. it should reset itself and auto-matically adjust to the correct settings you have.

·
Registered
216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ruhl /forum/post/12927675

Do HDMI cables "kind of" go bad?

In theory they SHOULDN'T. Being digital, it should either work or not. I'm not into the esoterica of HDMI cables though, so
. I CAN say unequivocably though that they MUST, as I have an HDMI cable (from a "high end" manufacturer) that refuses to provide a stable picture feeding my TV from the DVR, but works flawlessly feeding my TV from my PS3.

So...

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
The cables aren't bad if they work with your other devices, it looks like your tv is having a handshake issue with the PS3. there is nothing wrong with your cables or PS3.

if what i suggested above doesn't work then try disconnecting and reconnecting the cables see if that helps. also there may be dust in your HDMI input on the tv,blow it out just incase.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Have you tried the ps3 using hdmi cables on a different input on your tv. For example if the ps3 is currently using hdmi input 1 on your tv try moving it to hdmi input 2 on your tv, see if the tv connection is the issue.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Try lifting the cable slightly so it puts less strain on the connectors on the TV and the PS3. Apparently it's not uncommon for the weight of the cable to be enough to bend the pins in the device if you just let it hang without any sort of strain relief.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Only have one HDMI port on my 2-year old LCD. (I was using a monoprice HDMI switcher -- tried it with and without this -- it's not the source of the problem.)

What's bizzare, is that I have NEVER had this issue before (13+ months of daily use). I'll try all these suggestions. Again, this happened on my last PS3 and it is happening on this refurb (new?) PS3...also the HDMI port works with my set top box.... so I'm inclinded to agree it's some handshaking issue.

I'll try these suggestions and try back tonight.

Thanks guys

Chris

·
Registered
258 Posts
There's a huge number of articles in the January issue of Widescreen Review discussing the complexities of manufacturing and implementing HDMI cables. These contain 19 different wires. They are not simple lamp cord connections like I used on my old stereo hook-up 25 years ago. One caveat: Most of the articles are written by manufacturers touting their own design concepts for expensive HDMI cables.

My belief is this, based on my reading over the past several months...

1) It could be a handshake issue. But unless you've changed something, why is that not working "all of a sudden"?

2) It could be a cable issue, whereby the amount of power, etc. pulled from one device vs another causes No Signal.

If at all possible, I would beg, borrow or steal a new HDMI cable from a local store or friend and try that. I'm not saying you should go buy Monster Cables at $100 a pop, but maybe a higher-rated cable (or at least a new one) would help isolate that possibility out of the equation.

Most of these articles mention situations where one device can connect -- with no problems -- especially if it is 720p, or even 1080i. But the minute you hook up a 1080p device the demand changes and you have problems. I think it's very possible that your cable failed at some point by way of supporting 1080p -- possibly during a connect/disconnect episode, or a line surge. Hook up a less demanding device -- it still works.

I know it sounds stupid. But the idea of it working with other devices and not your PS3 might be simply because the PS3 demands more from that cable.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've had it. I'm at my witt's end trying to figure this damned thing out.

I took my PS3 and both of my HDMI cables (monoprice) to a buddy's house. The HDMI connection worked perfectly with both of my cables as well as his HDMI cable (monoprice) on his LCD.

I went out and bought another HDMI cable (Belkin) and brought it back home. Hooked it up and I still have nothing. The single HDMI outlet on my Olevia 37" LT37HVS works just fine with my HDMI-equipped DVD player and my DISH network HD satellite box. I've blown into the port etc.... tried switching back and forth continously between inputs etc..... nothing. So the TV works with other HD sources...just not the PS3 all of a sudden.

So it is definately a handshake issue. I have tried powercycling the TV (leaving it unplugged overnight) to no avail. I am open to any and all suggestions on how to get these two to play nicely.

I am at a complete loss. The PS3 worked just fine for 13 months connected to HDMI on this LCD. Now they won't talk.

To make matters worse, now I can't do a "soft reset" to auto-detect my composite cables. I turn the PS3 off (switch in back) and hold the power button on the front for 10 seconds after I turn the unit back on (switch) and it refuses to beep 3 times and auto-detect the composite cable.

Like I said. I've had it. Any other ideas? Please?

Chris

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Could you try using ps3 component cables to the olevia? That panel is 1080I/720p is it not? CC or BB have the component cables for $19.99 I believe.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep...that's what I will probably end up having to do. Using HDMI for over a year spoiled me....... I do have the component cable, but I would prefer to use HDMI. I know the picture is suppose to be the same, but I can detect a difference between HDMI and component. So very very frustrating......

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ruhl /forum/post/12941419

Yep...that's what I will probably end up having to do. Using HDMI for over a year spoiled me....... I do have the component cable, but I would prefer to use HDMI. I know the picture is suppose to be the same, but I can detect a difference between HDMI and component. So very very frustrating......

Progress is a real biotch sometimes. On another note, have you checked to see if their is a FW upgrade for your TV?

·
Registered
2,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ruhl /forum/post/12941419

I can understand your frustration man. Something must have happened to the olevia's hdmi handshaking that prevents it from receiving a signal only from the ps3..that stinks. I know what you mean by seeing a difference in pic quality between inputs. Some tv's have the same pic quality between comp and hdmi, and some do not...and if you notice hdmi looks better, than your tv is one with the better pic quality on hdmi.

Another thing you could try, is update the firmware on the olevia. I don't know if you can do this with your brand or model..but you mgiht want to look into it. Maybe a glitch in your current firmware caused this issue? And if you reloaded the firmware or upgraded it, the handshaking issue might go away?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Would using a HDMI switch (ie. monoprices switch) possible alter the handshake in any way that might push it in your favor? I think the end result is likely to go component or get a new tv (that just sucks), or hope that something alters the handshake a little.

There is always this option too: HDFury - HDMI To RGB Converter

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the responses. I did look for an update for my TV.... of course there are none according to the Syntax/Olevia website.

This has created a lot of headaches in more ways than one. Just finished completely rewiring most of my setup.... I used to have HDMI going to my LCD and the component going to my projector. (My projector has no HDMI input.) Now I guess I am going to have to use some kind of component switcher to alternate between the LCD and TV.

New TV probably isn't going to happen anytime soon... the HD Fury thing is a great idea, but for $150.... well I can live with component I think ;0

I am still at a complete loss though. I've thought about this for quite a while.

It just doesn't make sense for the handshake to fail all of a sudden. Especially after working flawlessly for over a year. What could cause this to happen suddenly? I mean it was literally, HDMI worked on one night, the next morning it didn't work at all. Nothing was switched, nothing was altered, nothing at all changed (unless it was gremlins!). Surely a power surge wouldn't have caused this?

It's never easy man......

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I would call syntex/olevia and tell them your about your issue. They might be able to tell you how to re-install your firmware or upgrade it. The website might be general info..I think you need to talk to someone in technical support.

A spike might have caused it, or a static charge somehow to the tv. I see you live in Minnesota, and if you are running a hot air furnace, that can create static charges. Ever walk on a carpet, then touch one of your a/v components..and get zapped? I have. It's so strange that it is only the ps3 though.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts