AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the forum consensus on factory refurb HT gear? Anybody out there with some experience in this area? I have the opportunity to get a factory serviced/refurbished Samsung DLP at a substantial savings and still have a new 12 month warranty on it. It may even have the new HLN series internals in it...

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I have no opinion, except that I've had 2 refurbed CRT monitors and they both lasted about 6 years, which is basically normal. Someone reasoned to me once that factory refurbed units are actually more reliable than the regular ones because they've 1) gone through original QA, 2) been stress- tested in the field and 3) anything that failed in the field was replaced and made it though an additional round of quality assurance.

On the other hand, you could open it up one day and find a stash of drugs and cash.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
I want one of those! Are there any dealers (snort) here in NYC?

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
I wouldn't want a refurbished CRT set, but DLPs are supposed to age very slowly. I would take a chance but who really knows.

I've always recommended refurbished computers but not computer monitors. I think of a DLP as more like a computer.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. That makes me feel better. I'm going to take the plunge and see how it goes... I should have it by next week.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Where are you getting the refurb from? I checked with Samsung (on their web and then by phone) to confirm. Refurb's are NOT covered by a Samsung warranty. And from what I have seen, 3rd party warranty company's (like Viking) generally require that the product had at least a 30 day warranty with 30 days still in force before accepting it. (Although Viking won't write business in FL, for some reason which they ignored when I wrote and asked why!!).

So, please be careful! And if you did find a refurb that is warrantied- share the wealth man!! I am looking for the 617!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by s2foster
Refurb's are NOT covered by a Samsung warranty. And from what I have seen, 3rd party warranty company's (like Viking) generally require that the product had at least a 30 day warranty with 30 days still in force before accepting it.
That's a good point. The 2 CRT monitors I mentioned above-- neither was covered by [IBM, Sony]- the store allowed me a 30 day return policy on them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Where are you getting them from?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Turns out the seller is offering a 6 month replacement warranty if anything goes wrong with the TV. Not a factory warranty after all. If he can't get a suitable replacement, he'll refund the purchase price. This is an E Bay seller with 100% positives and a very recent delivery of a Samsung refurb DLP to a buyer who is happy with it according to his feedback.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are actually a couple of sellers on eBay right now with refurb HLM507W and HLM437W units for sale. I made an arrangement with one of them outside of the auction service to save a little more money. Both have very positive feedback from other eBayers. My 43" should be here by Monday. I'll post how it goes. I also noticed there's another guy on eBay selling his used HLM437W (he says to buy a larger one)

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK -

I've received my refurb Samsung HLM437W... it appears to be operating just fine. The build date on the unit was November 2002. I haven't had a chance to enter the SM yet, so I don't know if it has the newer FLI2300 chipset in it or not. It does not appear to have DNle.

After taking apart my A/V setup and getting all put back together with the Sammy 43", I did a quick picture adjustment using the THX test patterns on the "Ice Age" DVD. We've got Time Warner digital cable with the 3100HD STB, so I was anxious to have a look at the two HD channels we currently have - HBO and Showtime. Using the HD component video input 2, the HBO feed looked fantastic (although the movie was "Exit Wounds" with Stephen Seagal). The detail of the HD picture is really amazing, and the 43" screen size is just right for our living room (maximum viewing distance is only 10 ft.). Showtime was airing "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" (or maybe it was the Bogus Journey). It also looked great, but the image was offset to the left, leaving a black vertical strip on the right about 1" wide. Evidently a transmission problem with the cable company.

The "Ice Age" DVD was next. I have an earlier Panasonic player with built in DD and DTS decoders and component video out, but it is not progressive scan. Using component input 1, the Samsung's Faroudja scaler seems to be doing an impressive job. "Ice Age" looked great, although not as nice as the HD cable channels. Surprisingly detailed and crisp with excellent color and brightness. Graphics (like titles and credits) are especially sharp and have a 3-D quality to them.

The cable channels varied greatly. Using the S-Video input 1, analog feeds went from grainy and blotchy looking to surprisingly clear, depending on the signal quality Time Warner is getting from their satellite feeds. The digital channels look much better, with many of them looking nearly as good as DVD. The movie channels looked especially good, although all the digital channels suffer from some compression artifacts.

Well, that's about it. I'm very happy so far, and saved more than $1000 by getting a refurb unit. Time will tell if reliability will be a problem, but it seems to be working great. BTW, it looks absolutely brand new with no visible signs of prior use or ownership.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gshelley61
OK -

I've received my refurb Samsung HLM437W...
Did your set come with a full Samsung warranty?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No. According to Samsung's website, refurb units are not normally covered by the 1 yr warranty. However, I had a brief phone conversation with Samsung customer service and was advised that their digital services department can and does provide no-charge out of warranty service for DLP owners on a case by case basis. They apparantly want current DLP owners to be happy with their televisions to help foster confidence in the product line.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.