AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm searching the net for a new ps3 80gb. as we all know some sellers arn't that honest! i want to wipe the sucker stamp of my forehead before i buy

my question is, how can i identify a refurbed unit by site. i see mention as to an afixxed warranty seal some where? some mention as to the serial number having some kinda different look. is there anything else to id a refub?

i've never seen one in person, so i'm very vaig as to how to id a unit as a refurb. just don't want to get stuck with a used an abuised reman unit.

any visual pics anyone can lead me too?

help a brother out

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
If it's a factory refurb then it was serviced by Sony and is the same as a new unit. I wouldn't pay the same price for a refurb than for a new one but if the deal is way below the cost of a new one than you can expect it to be a refurb or returned unit. Except for a very few special and deals (walmart or sony style card deals) all the PS3 are selling for the same price everywhere.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by big thunder /forum/post/14163611

i'm searching the net for a new ps3 80gb. as we all know some sellers arn't that honest! i want to wipe the sucker stamp of my forehead before i buy

my question is, how can i identify a refurbed unit by site. i see mention as to an afixxed warranty seal some where? some mention as to the serial number having some kinda different look. is there anything else to id a refub?

i've never seen one in person, so i'm very vaig as to how to id a unit as a refurb. just don't want to get stuck with a used an abuised reman unit.

any visual pics anyone can lead me too?

help a brother out

If you want a new one, buy it from an authorized dealer. You don't want to have to do a warranty return to Sony and find out you're not covered because you bought gray market, or worse.

·
Registered
498 Posts
At this point in time, as a general rule, if it isn't part of the Metal Gear bundle, it isn't a new 80GB PS3 (I'm basically assuming you are in the US). Right now, Sony has 2 PS3 SKUs: the 40GB and the 80GB which is only available as part of the Metal Gear bundle. The non-bundled 80GB units sold out months ago (I know, I tried to find one for a long time before settling on the 40GB unit). Basically, if it doesn't look like this, it isn't a new unit:

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
I bought a furbed 20 gig last year or maybe even longer ago and it has worked out well.

But head the opinions of others about the 80gig packaging / bundle being the correct one for sure.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how about that for luck. a local game stop had a new 80gb metel gear4 bundle in stock. which is what i was looking for. didn't even gouge my eyeballs out.

thanks for the pm pboul, you are the man! also thanks for the posting replies guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts