AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can buy a factory refurbished amp for my subwoofers for about half the price of a new one. Has anyone bought refurbished before? Not sure if I should stay away from it or not, they include a 1 year warranty. The new one has a 5 year warranty on passive components and 1 year on the rest. I guess I keep thinking that the refurbished ones are the junk that has been returned but I don't know.

·
Registered
22,521 Posts
Depends on the amp and the dealer. If it's an authorized reburb dealer then you should be fine. Most amp companies have a strict policy on who can sell refurbs.

Many sellers claim that there's a warranty when there isn't.

In general, "refurb" is used to describe B-stock. B-Stock can be a lot of different things from true refurb to factory seconds and discontinued models or just the factory dumping overstock. If it's a reputable brand from a reputable dealer it's usually a good bargain.

·
Registered
239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPL /forum/post/18286778

I can buy a factory refurbished amp for my subwoofers for about half the price of a new one. Has anyone bought refurbished before? Not sure if I should stay away from it or not, they include a 1 year warranty. The new one has a 5 year warranty on passive components and 1 year on the rest. I guess I keep thinking that the refurbished ones are the junk that has been returned but I don't know.

Depends on what is being refurbished. I would take an Accuphase refurbished anytime. If it is of good quality and is in good working condition it is a good deal. It is not digital stuff that has newer chips and etc. It is good design and power supply implementations and so on. I have a modded haffler 500 which sounds way better than many high end amps out there.

All the best,

Michael

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I am curious what subwoofers you use - how good are they? Are they worth the price of new power amps, or would you be better off selling them and getting a first-rate modern self-powered subwoofer (example: SVS) for probably not much more (or even less).

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPL /forum/post/18286778

Refurbished can me a lot of things, it could mean it has just a scratch or it could mean it had problems has has been repaired.

Just make sure they have a good return policy and take the chance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its the boston acoustics sa1 amplifier for their subwoofers which are brand new. Its factory refurbished and sold from an authorized dealer. Its not a discontinued model but is quite a bit cheaper than a new one, I can buy a new one if that is the better route. It comes with a 1 year warranty and they say its in new condition or they aren't allowed to sell them. Just not sure if I should say the hell with it and buy new. Not apposed to saveing money.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
If the amplifier has been out for awhile and has serious design issues causing a moderate proportion of failures, then information should be available on the web. If there are not a moderate number of failures (as documented on the web), then you should be fine with a refurbished amplifier. The warranty appears to be the same as for a new unit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts