AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it safe to buy a refurbished CPU from a reputable source such as NewEgg?

In particular, their refurbished AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (currently not in stock) is substantially less than a new retail CPU HSF and the difference could probably buy a very good aftermarket HSF.

If the original owner was an over-aggressive over-clocker, could he damage a CPU? Would AMD be able to detect all damage and repair it? After it is repaired, should it be just as reliable and perform as well as a new CPU?

Do CPUs have a high likelihood of failure (i.e. is the warranty likely that I would need the warranty during the useable life of this CPU whether it's new or refurbished)?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Bought a 2400 + from newegg. Folded for 4 months oced to 2200. Next four months stock folding. Not evena problem. (my room temp get svery hot int he summer had to clock it down) It was refurbed as well

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mshan
Is it safe to buy a refurbished CPU from a reputable source such as NewEgg?

In particular, their refurbished AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (currently not in stock) is substantially less than a new retail CPU HSF and the difference could probably buy a very good aftermarket HSF.

If the original owner was an over-aggressive over-clocker, could he damage a CPU? Would AMD be able to detect all damage and repair it? After it is repaired, should it be just as reliable and perform as well as a new CPU?

Do CPUs have a high likelihood of failure (i.e. is the warranty likely that I would need the warranty during the useable life of this CPU whether it's new or refurbished)?

I consider it safe to buy a refurb CPU from NewEgg. Overclocking will either irrepairable damage the CPU, or it won't damage it at all and over time (years) shorten its lifespan but not enough to be concerned about. So, if a refurb CPU was overclocked, it should work fine for you. I think NewEgg has a 2 week return policy for their refurbs so you really can't go wrong. The trick is grabbing one when in stock since NewEgg refurbs usually go pretty fast. I'm A.K.A. 1Time at overclockers.com.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.