AVS Forum banner

621 - 640 of 1091 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
You are correct - I arrived at great settings of my liking following the exact same approach as you listed above. I do have the other calibrations saved though to occasionally compare. I would love to try the audioholics settings if you can share a link or post them here. Thanks!
Here is the article:

https://www.audioholics.com/projector-reviews/epson-pro-cinema-6040ub-projector-review/setup

The bottom of the page has some good guidance. The 6040ub is essentially the same PJ so the info is good. It’s also based on the latest firmware. Only thing I suggest is using the Auto Bright setting for HDMI dynamic range.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ordered one yesterday.

Has anyone submitted the free lamp rebate from using the "Online Rebate Pre-submission"? That looks like a streamed version and asks only for Purchase Date, Store, Model and serial number. No mention of UPC or Receipt/Invoice. Which method has a better chance of receiving the free lamp? I didn't call Epson, nor do I plan to do so. Refrub usually don't qualify for a free lamp offer.

I feel like this exact question has been asked several times in this thread. Yes, you still qualify to get the lamp even though you bought a refurb unit.

I bought my refurb unit last month, mailed in my form, got an email confirmation 2 weeks later. The lamp should be here in about 6 weeks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I feel like this exact question has been asked several times in this thread. Yes, you still qualify to get the lamp even though you bought a refurb unit.

I bought my refurb unit last month, mailed in my form, got an email confirmation 2 weeks later. The lamp should be here in about 6 weeks.
I'm in Canada, bought refurb from Epson.ca, mailed in my documents and last week go this as well:

Dear XXX,
Thank you for purchasing Epson. Your rebate submission has been received and is in process. Please allow 4 - 6 weeks to receive your rebate and/or premium item.
To check the status of your rebate, please visit www.epson.com/promotions.
Register your Epson product today! It's quick and easy!
- Receive a Special Epson Store Discount Offer
- Obtain Easy Driver Updates via our Free-Direct-to-Desktop Update Tool
- Access Technical Support and Advice
- Receive Exclusive Online Offers
Click here for details or copy this link into your browser window:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/formgen/selectWebregCountry.jsp?
Sincerely,
Epson Rebate Administrator
PLEASE NOTE: This is an automated email message. Please do not reply directly to this message.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Should I play refurb roulette?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
i have my 2nd 5040, first one sent back overheating and this one has been great. No issues what soever and the picture is great. The 5040 has great blacks and plenty of brightness.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got 5040 refurbished 3 weeks ago. Here is my experience so far;

1) It came with 0 bulb hours and 0 bulb replacements. It came in brown refurb box. no issues so far

2) submitted the rebate form a few days after receiving the projector. submitted it via postal mail. in about 10 days, i see the status online that they received it and it's in process. i did not do anything online or pre submission online.

3) Epson 5040 compared to others

(a) i bought Benq TK800. it's a 4k projector. i did not like it's colors or picture quality. At the same time, I had optoma HD27HDR. i did side by side comparison. Optoma HD27HDR was much better picture quality and colors as compared to TK800. Optoma fan was less noisy as well.

5040UB as compared to both BenQ TK800 and Optoma HD27HDR: 5040UB picture quality is crips and clearn. No comparison with other two projectors. 5040 is a beast. hands down to the picture clarify. colors depth and performance is excellent. you see the colors that you don't even see in TK800 or HD27HDR. the dark and brigh scenes are clear on 5040.

if you thinking TK800 is 4K and 5040 is not 4K; only thing i can say is that not all 4K are the same. 5040UB with 4K enhancement is a better, clear, more colorful picture as compared to TK800. No comparison at all.

HD27HDR is better pic and colors as compared to TK800, and HD27HDR is half the price.

This is my experience so far with 5040UB. Excellent picture and crisp / clear.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I got 5040 refurbished 3 weeks ago. Here is my experience so far;

1) It came with 0 bulb hours and 0 bulb replacements. It came in brown refurb box. no issues so far

2) submitted the rebate form a few days after receiving the projector. submitted it via postal mail. in about 10 days, i see the status online that they received it and it's in process. i did not do anything online or pre submission online.

3) Epson 5040 compared to others

(a) i bought Benq TK800. it's a 4k projector. i did not like it's colors or picture quality. At the same time, I had optoma HD27HDR. i did side by side comparison. Optoma HD27HDR was much better picture quality and colors as compared to TK800. Optoma fan was less noisy as well.

5040UB as compared to both BenQ TK800 and Optoma HD27HDR: 5040UB picture quality is crips and clearn. No comparison with other two projectors. 5040 is a beast. hands down to the picture clarify. colors depth and performance is excellent. you see the colors that you don't even see in TK800 or HD27HDR. the dark and brigh scenes are clear on 5040.

if you thinking TK800 is 4K and 5040 is not 4K; only thing i can say is that not all 4K are the same. 5040UB with 4K enhancement is a better, clear, more colorful picture as compared to TK800. No comparison at all.

HD27HDR is better pic and colors as compared to TK800, and HD27HDR is half the price.

This is my experience so far with 5040UB. Excellent picture and crisp / clear.
Mine also had 0 hours and 0 lamp replacements, I'm thinking they reset it.

Those were the projectors I was considering before I got the 5040 as well but after some research and a good deal on the refurb........the choice became clear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
x-posting this here for some advice. I inherited an Epson 8350 and Denon AVR-S710w that was part of the house I bought. The projector has been great but it now on its last legs and I'm considering switching out for the 5040ub. Most of my viewing is from Plex / Netflix / Amazon and any 4K content it offers over the PS4 and the cable box once in a while. I'm a casual gamer (PS4) so my head won't explode if every detail isn't perfect on the screen. It's set up in the basement which is pretty dark as well.

I'm thinking of just going the refurb route, would the 5040 be a big step up from the 8350 and does my setup make sense, or would I be just as fine with a 3500?

·
Registered
105 Posts
x-posting this here for some advice...

My previous pj was also an 8350 that sold with the house. I had dlp before that, and wouldn’t go back. I upgraded to the 5040 mostly to try out a CIH setup, but I was honestly shocked how much better it looked. I was perfectly happy with the 8350, so this was a nice bonus.

4K and HDR is a bit tricky due to the hdmi port bandwidth limitation. The owners thread covers which combinations will work, but 4K 60Hz HDR ain’t gonna happen. Movies are usually fine, but you will need to tweak output settings (resolution, refresh rate, chroma, HDR) for PS4 and Netflix to get it to work within bandwidth.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I changed delivery to pick up at FedEx. FedEx called me to confirm it, and then security team at epson also called me to confirm it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
x-posting this here for some advice...

My previous pj was also an 8350 that sold with the house. I had dlp before that, and wouldn’️t go back. I upgraded to the 5040 mostly to try out a CIH setup, but I was honestly shocked how much better it looked. I was perfectly happy with the 8350, so this was a nice bonus.

4K and HDR is a bit tricky due to the hdmi port bandwidth limitation. The owners thread covers which combinations will work, but 4K 60Hz HDR ain’️t gonna happen. Movies are usually fine, but you will need to tweak output settings (resolution, refresh rate, chroma, HDR) for PS4 and Netflix to get it to work within bandwidth.
Thanks, I will likely pull the trigger and do the checks recommended in this thread. The 8350 quit on me for good so I’d like to replace it with something.

I just took it down off the existing mount but it’s a no name brand with no markings on it. I’m trying to figure out if it will handle the extra weight of the 5040ub but I have no idea how to figure out it’s limit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just got my free rebate bulb from epson now i have 2 bulb laying around till my main one burst still under 500 hr on my projector since it is my "tv"
It did take them over 2-3 months to send me the bulb since it wasn't in stock .

How much do these sell for? Only need to keep one since i'll probably upgrade in the future.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/s2048x2048/68494015_439048576697491_1500581759845138432_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_oc=AQk1uwqctn5gx19FMvYnMdkQwEs6bcmhsoPE6w7lmtdmqfQ52naH5bcQUurEZ-nQrMg&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=636d5efdb5ded0ed68a9a34d68f300d2&oe=5DD51D36

·
Registered
558 Posts
Just got my free rebate bulb from epson now i have 2 bulb laying around till my main one burst still under 500 hr on my projector since it is my "tv"
It did take them over 2-3 months to send me the bulb since it wasn't in stock .

How much do these sell for? Only need to keep one since i'll probably upgrade in the future.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/s2048x2048/68494015_439048576697491_1500581759845138432_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_oc=AQk1uwqctn5gx19FMvYnMdkQwEs6bcmhsoPE6w7lmtdmqfQ52naH5bcQUurEZ-nQrMg&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=636d5efdb5ded0ed68a9a34d68f300d2&oe=5DD51D36
i dunno, my 5040ub just arrived and it will be the main source of tv/movies in the house too

·
Registered
47 Posts
So, with how many issues people here have had with the refurbs, is it worth it to buy one? What are the odds the stock left are just the really bad ones people keep sending back??

·
Registered
51 Posts
So, with how many issues people here have had with the refurbs, is it worth it to buy one? What are the odds the stock left are just the really bad ones people keep sending back??

I think if their was a vote , on how many people got good one and bad one. It would probably be
80/20%

So i would say yes its worth it go for it , & if anything I'm sure they'll replace it.

I had the optoma 50/51 Benq 3550, & to me this one blows the benq , I really didn't like the fan noise & really low brightness .

621 - 640 of 1091 Posts