AVS Forum banner

641 - 660 of 1090 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just ordered one. I have a feeling we the customers are the quality control testers. Epson is probably just shipping units out and seeing what sticks. Hope I get a good one first go around. Coming from an Epson 8350, which I have had for many, many years. Currently using a Vapex 100" 16:9 screen. I plan on switching to an acoustically transparent CinemaScope screen. Any budget suggestions for screens would be greatly appreciated. Do I go 2:35:1 or 2:40:1?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm using this one, its probably not as good a a chief, but it gets the job done. Got it on amazon.

QualGear Pro-AV QG-KIT-CA-3IN-W Projector Mount Kit Accessory Single Joist Ceiling Adapter, 3" 1.5", White

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hi All,

I just bought an EPSON PowerLite Home Cinema 5040UB refrurb with version software:

Main 840076648uwwv113
Video2 7YL28RMV111

Is this the newest software or do I have to upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'm using this one, its probably not as good a a chief, but it gets the job done. Got it on amazon.

QualGear Pro-AV QG-KIT-CA-3IN-W Projector Mount Kit Accessory Single Joist Ceiling Adapter, 3" 1.5", White
Thanks, I was looking at that one too. The mounting holes fit fine for the projector? Is it easy to release it too from the mount?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just got mine yesterday... didn't get a good one. The menu screen says the bulb has 0 hours on it, but there's no way. My old Epson 8350 with over 2500 hours on it is still brighter. Worse, there is dust or something on the bulb, the picture has multiple bright spots that are really noticeable in dark scenes and a few of the spots you can see even in brighter ones as well. I will be contacting them to return today. Cosmetically, there is a scratch in the plastic by the front lens, and on the side of the unit. Doesn't affect performance, but just thought I'd mention that these refurb'd units are not always going to be new stock where they fixed the power issue, this one was clearly used and installed, and even though it says the bulb has 0 hours on it, I'm guessing it probably has at least 2k hours on it, probably more like 3-4k, as it's a lot dimmer than my 8350.

Watched Captain Marvel (4k disc) with my Pioneer UDP-LX500, and I was hoping to be blown away by an increase in PQ, but this unit didn't live up to my expectations, and even after some calibrating, could see jagged edges when paused. Wasn't able to get rid of them completely, even with sharpness and other settings turned down or off. Hope I get a good one next time, as this unit I thought would be a significant jump in picture quality over the 8350, but so far, it's been a let down.

EDIT: Called Epson this morning, they said they will email me a Fedex return label and they'll be sending a replacement projector to arrive in 2-3 business days.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just got mine yesterday... didn't get a good one. The menu screen says the bulb has 0 hours on it, but there's no way. My old Epson 8350 with over 2500 hours on it is still brighter. Worse, there is dust or something on the bulb, the picture has multiple bright spots that are really noticeable in dark scenes and a few of the spots you can see even in brighter ones as well. I will be contacting them to return today. Cosmetically, there is a scratch in the plastic by the front lens, and on the side of the unit. Doesn't affect performance, but just thought I'd mention that these refurb'd units are not always going to be new stock where they fixed the power issue, this one was clearly used and installed, and even though it says the bulb has 0 hours on it, I'm guessing it probably has at least 2k hours on it, probably more like 3-4k, as it's a lot dimmer than my 8350.

Watched Captain Marvel (4k disc) with my Pioneer UDP-LX500, and I was hoping to be blown away by an increase in PQ, but this unit didn't live up to my expectations, and even after some calibrating, could see jagged edges when paused. Wasn't able to get rid of them completely, even with sharpness and other settings turned down or off. Hope I get a good one next time, as this unit I thought would be a significant jump in picture quality over the 8350, but so far, it's been a let down.

EDIT: Called Epson this morning, they said they will email me a Fedex return label and they'll be sending a replacement projector to arrive in 2-3 business days.
Keep us posted. I was all set to order but am rethinking based on your post. It does look like their customer service is top notch though!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Man, you guys have like playing Russian roulette on these "the psu is gonna fail soon" refurbs.

That's a huge inticing price, but no way I'd risk it with the history of these things just going completely dead on people (think "after the warranty ends" scenarios).

Best of luck to everyone playing the game though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Keep us posted. I was all set to order but am rethinking based on your post. It does look like their customer service is top notch though!

I will.

Man, you guys have like playing Russian roulette on these "the psu is gonna fail soon" refurbs.

That's a huge inticing price, but no way I'd risk it with the history of these things just going completely dead on people (think "after the warranty ends" scenarios).

Best of luck to everyone playing the game though.

The refurb'd units get the same 2 yr warranty as a new one, so if it makes it that long, I'm good, as I will probably replace with a true 4k projector then, this was just a stopgap until more models arrive and pricing comes down even more in the next few years. I've had an 8350 ever since they first came out, and a 5020, and both have been fantastic.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I will.
The refurb'd units get the same 2 yr warranty as a new one, so if it makes it that long, I'm good, as I will probably replace with a true 4k projector then, this was just a stopgap until more models arrive and pricing comes down even more in the next few years. I've had an 8350 ever since they first came out, and a 5020, and both have been fantastic.
Stopgap for me as well as my extremely old 1080p projector is going out on me and I want a decently priced upgrade.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Hmm...

I'm kinda getting lured in on this...even though I don't want to.

I could sell of my 1 year old Epson 4000 for at least what this refurb 5040 is selling for...worth it? Should be a good contrast jump, right?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hmm...

I'm kinda getting lured in on this...even though I don't want to.

I could sell of my 1 year old Epson 4000 for at least what this refurb 5040 is selling for...worth it? Should be a good contrast jump, right?
No clue. My 5040ub seems ok. I have not tested it yet besides turning it on, but it had 0 lamp hours too. The only wall I have to use now has my TV, so I cant see much anyway because the tv is in the way. I am coming from a benq w500, a 10+ year old 720p projector. When I turned it on it was so bright and cool looking :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just purchased this 5040UB and need a ceiling mount! I'm upgrading from a 1080ub and have the ELPHB800 mount ( https://epson.com/Accessories/Projector-Accessories/Ceiling-Mount-ELPHB800/p/ELPHB800 )

Will this mount be compatible with the 5040ub? If not, what is the best mount to go with it, and will it require drilling fresh holes in the ceiling, or can they overlap with the existing ELPHB800 mount?

How's the difference in quality from the 1080UB (i.e. how excited should I actually be?)

·
Registered
558 Posts
I got the one mentioned a few posts up. It is white and costs around 65ish. Seems to work well and hasn't fallen on anyone heads yet

641 - 660 of 1090 Posts