AVS Forum banner

1001 - 1020 of 1076 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, my incessant refreshing finally paid off! I called my CC to make sure it goes through this time. We'll see... This will be my fourth Epson refurb. Started with an 8300. After the warranty was up I sold it on eBay and bought an 8350 refurb. Then did the same after warranty and got a 3100. I think I had to exchange the 8350 due to it being defective and then the replacement had a bad bulb but otherwise they've been good. Hopefully that continues with this one!

·
Registered
69 Posts
After passing up on the last couple of 5040UBe projectors that came up, I bit the bullet on one this afternoon. I don't need the wireless video and was hoping to save $100 but I decided that it's still an awesome value at this price. I'll be replacing my decade-old Epson 8350 so I'm really looking forward to the upgrade.

·
Registered
119 Posts
my concern is that power issue....I wanna replace my antique Panny AE3000

·
Registered
30 Posts
After passing up on the last couple of 5040UBe projectors that came up, I bit the bullet on one this afternoon. I don't need the wireless video and was hoping to save $100 but I decided that it's still an awesome value at this price. I'll be replacing my decade-old Epson 8350 so I'm really looking forward to the upgrade.
Do you think it would be possible to sell the wireless transmitter on eBay? I really don't need wireless either.

·
Registered
69 Posts
[

Do you think it would be possible to sell the wireless transmitter on eBay? I really don't need wireless either.
I think it would be a tough sell. I assume that it can only be paired with this projector, so your potential buyers should already have one unless it's been lost or broken.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Anyone else still showing processing for the past two days? Thought it would've been shipped by now. Charge still pending on my credit card as well. A previous poster had gone through the same scenario and ended up getting cancelled on the third day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anyone else still showing processing for the past two days? Thought it would've been shipped by now. Charge still pending on my credit card as well. A previous poster had gone through the same scenario and ended up getting cancelled on the third day.
That's my situation. I ordered Tuesday afternoon and it still shows "processing" and I haven't received a call yet. I might call the number that called me the other day and proactively "approve" the purchase.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm thinking about just calling to cancel because I have someone looking to sell me their Epson 4000 for half the price of this 5040ube. I wonder if it's too late to get that started.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I'm thinking about just calling to cancel because I have someone looking to sell me their Epson 4000 for half the price of this 5040ube. I wonder if it's too late to get that started.
The difference is well worth if for the better contrast/blacks and warranty IMO. It's not that much money.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm thinking about just calling to cancel because I have someone looking to sell me their Epson 4000 for half the price of this 5040ube. I wonder if it's too late to get

The difference is well worth if for the better contrast/blacks and warranty IMO. It's not that much money.
I just received a message back from a guy selling his Sony VPL-HW45 for the same price as the Epson 4000. Like you mentioned, the warranty plays a big role.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just called their customer service and had them check on the order. She said everything is fine and they don't need any additional verification. She said they're just waiting on a tracking number.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm pretty let down with Epsons definition of factory refurbished.

I have three 5040UBs sitting on my kitchen table right now.

The first one looked great but was dusty in the bag when it arrived. The airfilter was brand new, but the bulb was not. I was able to know that by inspecting the lamp housing and seeing dust on it / plastic discoloration from the heat located on the black wall of plastic directly behind the lamp. They didn't clean out any of the dust in the passageways, they just slapped a new air filter in it and reset the system hours.

So going into the service menu (hold menu for 8 seconds, press escape twice, left right) I was shown 0 hours on the projector and 0 hours on the bulb.

Then I saw that it had dust on the LCD panels, a splotch was on it in black scenes. So I call Epson, they put a nice $1400 hold on my card and ship me another refurb. This one has as much if not more dust on it, 761 hours recorded on the projector and 0 on the bulb. But that was a lie, because the bulb was dusty and had the same tell tale mild burning of the plastic in the lamp housing. This one didn't have a dust spot but it was flickering.

So I call them back and ask them to define refurbished. I ask if they clean these projectors out, they said yes, then I explain I've gotten two that didn't get cleaned and both with issues. So they ship me a 3rd that... well you guessed it. New filter, but dusty internals and a used bulb. And fit and finish issues, the body has been opened and they didn't snap the plastic case back correctly. I haven't turned it on yet but I'm surprised that this counts as refurbishment. Am I out of line here?

I like the quality of the projected image very much, and the motorized controls are outstanding for the price. But man, I was hoping for it to be at least cleaned out. Or just let me know what the hours were so I can plan ahead.
So i guess the next one that are gonna go up for sell are gonna be your first 3 :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
So i guess the next one that are gonna go up for sell are gonna be your first 3 :(

Yeah. I was thinking of setting them to high altitude mode and pouring glitter in them so that they can't get sent out without a thorough cleaning. It wouldn't break them, but it would require them to get a complete teardown and clean out. What do you think??

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah. I was thinking of setting them to high altitude mode and pouring glitter in them so that they can't get sent out without a thorough cleaning. It wouldn't break them, but it would require them to get a complete teardown and clean out. What do you think??
Well just order one :D

I hope i didn't grab one of your ****ty one, i just receive my 4010 and have 90 days to return it so i will be able to compare them, only hick, i can't return a refurbish but i guess ill be happy with the 5040ub

·
Registered
160 Posts
They're in stock now, wireless and regular, in Canada and in US. I wanted so much 5050 but settled on 5040UB. Order status: processing, this will be my first ever, I hope I like it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My 5040ube was just delivered and it looks brand new. Is there any test I should perform before I get this thing mounted?
Lucky you, mine was canceled due to mismatch of some kind (they are not specific, the list they provided has quite a few items on it). I use this card for online purchases for ages with no problem, maybe it's for better .. I want 5050UB.

make sure you check:

- focus uniformity
- dust blobs
- grey uniformity
- chromatic aberration - load the menu without any signal - is there any blue glow around the text or the edges of the menu?
- convergence - does the text look white? look at the top and the bottom of the letters.

Get back with your impressions about PQ please.

1001 - 1020 of 1076 Posts