AVS Forum banner

1021 - 1040 of 1076 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Lucky you, mine was canceled due to mismatch of some kind (they are not specific, the list they provided has quite a few items on it). I use this card for online purchases for ages with no problem, maybe it's for better .. I want 5050UB.

make sure you check:

- focus uniformity
- dust blobs
- grey uniformity
- chromatic aberration - load the menu without any signal - is there any blue glow around the text or the edges of the menu?
- convergence - does the text look white? look at the top and the bottom of the letters.

Get back with your impressions about PQ please.

Mine arrived today too. I haven't had time to take it out of the box, but I peeked in and it looks great from what I saw. I hope to get it set up tonight and I'll report what I find.
One thing that jumps out right away: This thing is huge! It's got to be 40-50% larger than my 8350. I may have to move my mount since it is near the back wall.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Mine arrived today too. I haven't had time to take it out of the box, but I peeked in and it looks great from what I saw. I hope to get it set up tonight and I'll report what I find.
One thing that jumps out right away: This thing is huge! It's got to be 40-50% larger than my 8350. I may have to move my mount since it is near the back wall.
Check the current mount rating, the 5040 is 26lbs., so it need to be rated a lot higher than that.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had to call my Bank to verify the "problem" Epson were having processing my order. Turns out there was no issue whatsoever, bank rep gave me the transaction id for the order. So I call back got the same guy I was speaking to Joe. He was going back and forth with warehouse then he found two units, started making manual, then all of a sudden part was not available. I asked to speak to the manager, he said they do not transfer to managers as per their policy, but asked to place me on hold to see what else he can do. I was on hold for another 30+ minutes, then he came back confirmed shipping address, asked to confirm credit card and said the transaction went through and the item should be shipped within 3 business days.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine was delivered yesterday. My new mount was delivered today so hopefully I'll have time to set it up tonight after work.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Check the current mount rating, the 5040 is 26lbs., so it need to be rated a lot higher than that.

Thanks for the tip. I found the rating for my mount and it is good up to 44lbs.

I took the projector out of the box and visually inspected it. I didn't love that the lens cover was partly open, but I don't see any dust or scratches on it. Everything looks like new on the outside at least. It looks like there are plenty of mounting holes to choose from, so I should be able to make it work without moving the mount.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I found the rating for my mount and it is good up to 44lbs.

I took the projector out of the box and visually inspected it. I didn't love that the lens cover was partly open, but I don't see any dust or scratches on it. Everything looks like new on the outside at least. It looks like there are plenty of mounting holes to choose from, so I should be able to make it work without moving the mount.
If memory serves me correctly, you can manually open the motorized lens, at least I could with my 6040. It may have shifted during shipping. Hope this helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

·
Registered
69 Posts
If memory serves me correctly, you can manually open the motorized lens, at least I could with my 6040. It may have shifted during shipping. Hope this helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Thanks. I was thinking it might have just shifted during shipping. After getting it all set up last night, everything seems to be in perfect shape and it's working great.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got mine all set up last night. Everything looks to be great. I'll check the color convergence and more detailed stuff today. I'm fairly color blind so I'll need my wife's help with that one! Colors often look fine to me and not other people.

I will also say that this thing is HUGE. I had an 8350 prior to my 3100 and I was expecting that size again. This is way bigger. But it's also much more elegant looking with the matte white case with curves instead of angles and with the center lens that's recessed into the body with a cover that auto closes.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I got mine all set up last night. Everything looks to be great. I'll check the color convergence and more detailed stuff today. I'm fairly color blind so I'll need my wife's help with that one! Colors often look fine to me and not other people.

I will also say that this thing is HUGE. I had an 8350 prior to my 3100 and I was expecting that size again. This is way bigger. But it's also much more elegant looking with the matte white case with curves instead of angles and with the center lens that's recessed into the body with a cover that auto closes.

PM sent

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 5040ube was just delivered and it looks brand new. Is there any test I should perform before I get this thing mounted?
Lucky you, mine was canceled due to mismatch of some kind (they are not specific, the list they provided has quite a few items on it). I use this card for online purchases for ages with no problem, maybe it's for better .. I want 5050UB.

make sure you check:

- focus uniformity
- dust blobs
- grey uniformity
- chromatic aberration - load the menu without any signal - is there any blue glow around the text or the edges of the menu?
- convergence - does the text look white? look at the top and the bottom of the letters.

Get back with your impressions about PQ please.
The picture quality is great, a lot better blacks than the Epson 2150 that I had recently. Focus looks good and I don't see any dust blobs. I did have an issue with the wireless transmitter, I wasn't receiving a signal for about an hour. I just turning off and pressing the setup button and it all of a sudden worked.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Wow, they sent me a broken one, flashing orange lamp led and flashing blue from the start. I can see scratches on the case in few places. Haven't check dust on the lamp, because there is no way to start the projector. Call them for replacement they are going to send one overnight.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Follow up on my second Epson (replacement) I received, it has 7766 hours of Total Operation Time, 1 dead pixel and 3 dust blobs ( size of tennis ball on my 115 inch screen). I am planning to call them again.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Follow up on my second Epson (replacement) I received, it has 7766 hours of Total Operation Time, 1 dead pixel and 3 dust blobs ( size of tennis ball on my 115 inch screen). I am planning to call them again.

Crap...that's the ****s. Why can't Epson send out good replacements?

·
Registered
11,772 Posts
sounds like they're just turning over used machines to some people without even looking at them. Luckily mine is OK.

Nothing new. Epson has played refurb roulette for many years. That said, hours on modern LCD panels are probably the least of your worries. Modern LCD panels should be good for 100,000 hours +.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Would you go with the 5040 for this price or the EC3800 for $1300? The 3800 is 2 years newer, but I don't entirely know what the differences are.

This is for a light controlled basement...it can get pretty dark but there might be a little light leakage from a door during the day.

·
Registered
11,772 Posts
Would you go with the 5040 for this price or the EC3800 for $1300? The 3800 is 2 years newer, but I don't entirely know what the differences are.

This is for a light controlled basement...it can get pretty dark but there might be a little light leakage from a door during the day.

5040UB beats EC3800 from what I’ve read.

You might consider the HT5500 from BenQ as another option.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks I'll look into it. I think the 5040UB might be out of the running since I want to hook up a PS5 and the 5040 is limited to 30FPS in 4k, from what I understand.

Correct, which might not be enough for PS5, at this point I'd save up a bit more and go with the 5050 (what I actually did).
Do note that the Input lag is not bad, but it's not for twitch games like CoD.

1021 - 1040 of 1076 Posts