AVS Forum banner

1041 - 1060 of 1090 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
2 times including your shipped unit so it's one time ... but if taking into consideration Total Operation Time of 190 hours, is it used by user or it's been shipped with? In anyway maybe was something wrong with the first lamp.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Epson 5040UB refurbished - AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!

So not sure if anybody else who pulled the trigger on the refurbished 5040UB from Epson.com, but if you ask me, this should be a hard pass. I typically have never had any issues with refurbished products but this has been my worst experience by FAR. Yesterday I received my 4th unit. The first one they sent me I assume had a processor issue or something because there were tons of red pixels everywhere. No big deal I thought, I just had them exchange me with another one. They send #2 out within a few days. Worked great...for a few days then I got hit with an Auto Iris error. It basically crashes the projector right as its booting up. Ok, some bad luck, no biggie. I get that one exchanged. #3 came and so far so good. It lasted me about 3 months I believe then earlier this week, I get this error for the Epson Cinema Filter. Sounded like some electronic part was jammed or something. But again, no longer functions. I tried talking with Epson, expressing my concern about having to continue exchanging projectors until my warranty expires and I am out of luck. Basically they don't give a crap and won't refund even though their products are faulty. "Ok fine, whatever, send me a new one. Can you guys please double check this next one you send me to be SURE it doesn't have any issues?" Just got #4 yesterday. Watched some episodes of Mandalorian last night, no issues. This morning turn it on aaaaaaand........Auto Iris Error. I am seriously getting annoyed by this. This time their IT team said they would thoroughly examine the unit before they send it. Here's to hoping. But as I said before, save yourself the heartache, get something else. Very disappointed with Epson customer service

·
Registered
58 Posts
So not sure if anybody else who pulled the trigger on the refurbished 5040UB from Epson.com, but if you ask me, this should be a hard pass. I typically have never had any issues with refurbished products but this has been my worst experience by FAR. Yesterday I received my 4th unit. The first one they sent me I assume had a processor issue or something because there were tons of red pixels everywhere. No big deal I thought, I just had them exchange me with another one. They send #2 out within a few days. Worked great...for a few days then I got hit with an Auto Iris error. It basically crashes the projector right as its booting up. Ok, some bad luck, no biggie. I get that one exchanged. #3 came and so far so good. It lasted me about 3 months I believe then earlier this week, I get this error for the Epson Cinema Filter. Sounded like some electronic part was jammed or something. But again, no longer functions. I tried talking with Epson, expressing my concern about having to continue exchanging projectors until my warranty expires and I am out of luck. Basically they don't give a crap and won't refund even though their products are faulty. "Ok fine, whatever, send me a new one. Can you guys please double check this next one you send me to be SURE it doesn't have any issues?" Just got #4 yesterday. Watched some episodes of Mandalorian last night, no issues. This morning turn it on aaaaaaand........Auto Iris Error. I am seriously getting annoyed by this. This time their IT team said they would thoroughly examine the unit before they send it. Here's to hoping. But as I said before, save yourself the heartache, get something else. Very disappointed with Epson customer service
That has to be frustrating. I got lucky with mine, first one and no issues at all.

·
Registered
11,862 Posts

Number five was good for me. May you experience the same good fortune. /forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

Post 355 in this thread details my like saga (With pictures) and it’s just one of many here.

Frankly, because they run their refurb business so poorly, I’m surprised Epson even continues to deal in it. Can you imagine how much all this shuffling of dud units costs the company? In reality at this point they probably are making nothing at all off your 5th projector. Shipping it 9 times so far for you, (and who knows how many times for each of those 4 serial numbers before) paying their dock crew, phone crew, and tech support crew to handle a customers order 5 times? Putting a new bulb in each, every time, repacking packing material, etc. Unsustainable, and yet not that uncommon (and for years!)

Surely some bean counter will figure out it’d be cheaper to just write off their refurb units (without understanding Epson is truly dealing with unaddressed quality control and staffing quality problems at their refurb center/s). Some of the 5 I got never should have passed QC nor been sent out the door! One was badly pink hue’d out of the box instead of black and white, and another out of the box had so many dust blobs it looked like a snowstorm. Luckily, the last one I received has been good for almost a year now, and still has no dust spots. I think my last one may have been actually new after getting pretty aggressive with my complaints. It had no hours on it in the service menu, though it was in refurb packaging.

I’m sorry to glance in here every so often and realize it still hasn’t changed.

·
Registered
11,862 Posts
And post 361 notes how Epson would handle refurb failures if they really honored their motto of ‘Epson - Exceed Customer Expectations’

https://global.epson.com/company/epson_way/

BenQ knocked it out of the park for a local enthusiast in my area during the very first customer service interaction!

He bought a $2,400 refurb HT9050 (one generation old model). It had an issue out of the box. BenQ immediately offered a $9K top of their line HT9060 new unit as a substitute because they didn’t have any HT9050s immediately available for replacement. No hassle, just issue resolved in the best way possible for the customer. Compare that to Epson telling me for months and by three different techs I had to call in every day to try to catch the 5040UB refurb in stock to replace my faulty ones, each of the first three times because they had no way to hold them in inventory to replace failed customer units and it was just first come first served. I can’t even calculate the amount of hours I spent wasted on that.

Unbelievable.

·
Registered
58 Posts
And post 361 notes how Epson would handle refurb failures if they really honored their motto of ‘Epson - Exceed Customer Expectations’

https://global.epson.com/company/epson_way/

BenQ knocked it out of the park for a local enthusiast in my area during the very first customer service interaction!

He bought a $2,400 refurb HT9050 (one generation old model). It had an issue out of the box. BenQ immediately offered a $9K top of their line HT9060 new unit as a substitute because they didn’t have any HT9050s immediately available for replacement. No hassle, just issue resolved in the best way possible for the customer. Compare that to Epson telling me for months and by three different techs I had to call in every day to try to catch the 5040UB refurb in stock to replace my faulty ones, each of the first three times because they had no way to hold them in inventory to replace failed customer units and it was just first come first served. I can’t even calculate the amount of hours I spent wasted on that.

Unbelievable.
Going from $2,400 to $9K is insane! Lets hope Epson will start doing the same in the future.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Back in stock on the US site!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I just got my 5040UB. I saw a red circle spot and a green circle spot. Are those dust blobs? If so, is there a way to remove it or would you send it back?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is there a checklist somewhere in this thread new owners should go through with their refurbed units to make sure everything is in good working order?

I've got absolutely nothing set up, this is the first piece of my theatre setup, lol. I want to make sure this thing is good to go before I pack it away for 6 months while everything else is figured out.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Is there a checklist somewhere in this thread new owners should go through with their refurbed units to make sure everything is in good working order?

I've got absolutely nothing set up, this is the first piece of my theatre setup, lol. I want to make sure this thing is good to go before I pack it away for 6 months while everything else is figured out.
Literally on the previous page:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/199-front-projectors-great-found-deals/3059050-refurbished-epson-5040ub-1-151-00-a-35.html#post59720176

·
Registered
62 Posts
My question is on the throw and mount distance from ceiling on the 5040 as I too am looking to pull the trigger on a refurb to replace my BenQ w1080ST....my room is somewhat unique in that it is a lofted garage. I have a 150" 16:9 screen. My Benq is 9.5 feet away. I get the Epson is a different beast, not short throw etc BUT when I go to the epson calculator and put my dimensions in it says I have to install the EPSON 3.1 feet drop from the ceiling....odd? My room in the back half has 7.5 foot ceilings so that would mean it would be hanging above someones head on the couch in addition to hearing that the fan is loud on this projector, FYI the room is 21' feet deep and the calc says 14.1' needed for the 150" which is fine.

Is this ceiling drop calc correct? My BENQ is 3" from the ceiling.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,021 Posts
My question is on the throw and mount distance from ceiling on the 5040 as I too am looking to pull the trigger on a refurb to replace my BenQ w1080ST....my room is somewhat unique in that it is a lofted garage. I have a 150" 16:9 screen. My Benq is 9.5 feet away. I get the Epson is a different beast, not short throw etc BUT when I go to the epson calculator and put my dimensions in it says I have to install the EPSON 3.1 feet drop from the ceiling....odd? My room in the back half has 7.5 foot ceilings so that would mean it would be hanging above someones head on the couch in addition to hearing that the fan is loud on this projector, FYI the room is 21' feet deep and the calc says 14.1' needed for the 150" which is fine.

are you factoring in lens shift? You 5040 should be fine pretty close to the ceiling as long as it's a straight shot. If it's under a soffit or something, it may need to be a little lower to clear that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
are you factoring in lens shift? You 5040 should be fine pretty close to the ceiling as long as it's a straight shot. If it's under a soffit or something, it may need to be a little lower to clear that.
Thanks I realized the Epson calc does not factor in lens shift. So I guess I can go for it, no sofit. I noticed most of the projector mounts that i am looking at for the 5040 dont have a veritcal pole that would allow a drop

·
Registered
4,360 Posts

After you input the screen size, at the bottom of the page there is a section called lens shift:
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-Home_Cinema_5040UB-projection-calculator-pro.htm

The default position is at the same height as the center of the screen. With that particular screen you can go up 70" as per the calculator. That's center of the lens.

·
Registered
82 Posts
welp, I just got off the phone with Epson they're sending me out my 3rd projector. The first one I had problems with keystone correction, On this one I have had the dust blob, hopefully this next one I have want have any problems. I still at the end of the day it's a good deal I just need get a good projector.

1041 - 1060 of 1090 Posts