AVS Forum banner

1061 - 1080 of 1091 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
welp, I just got off the phone with Epson they're sending me out my 3rd projector. The first one I had problems with keystone correction, On this one I have had the dust blob, hopefully this next one I have want have any problems. I still at the end of the day it's a good deal I just need get a good projector.

How did you know there was problems with keystone correction, and why are you using keystone correction?

I have one dust blob in the bottom left corner, but I'm thinking I'll just keep it. I guess there's no way to remove the dust blob?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am on my 3rd projector (scratch lenses), waiting for the next one. I've talked to one of the supervisors and he told me it is ok to have some scratches. I did not agree, so they will be sending another my way. They supposed to throughly inspect the unit (3-4 business days) still waiting today is day 6.

·
Registered
82 Posts
that sucks. I also wonder what you'd use keystone correction for. That's something I would move my projector before I'd use. Not that you'd want a system that had issues.
sorry, kind of confusing the way I wrote that my problem was no matter if was 5 ft or 25 ft back the image on the screen would always be a trapezod shape and even I used keystone I couldn't fix it, Epson agree is was faulty projector. I know i'm not suppose to use keystone but I was trying everything to make it work.

·
Registered
8,031 Posts
I am on my 3rd projector (scratch lenses), waiting for the next one. I've talked to one of the supervisors and he told me it is ok to have some scratches. I did not agree, so they will be sending another my way. They supposed to throughly inspect the unit (3-4 business days) still waiting today is day 6.
lenses get scratches. If you can't see them on the screen it's OK. They focus so much through that lens that it doesn't show. Same as camera lenses.

·
Registered
176 Posts
lenses get scratches. If you can't see them on the screen it's OK. They focus so much through that lens that it doesn't show. Same as camera lenses.
Agree, I haven't noticed any degradation to the picture quality for the last week I have it. Other than scratches this projector is quite good. The only thing I consider is resale value down the road.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice big scratch across half the projector lens, can anyone tell me what that might look like on the screen? I didn't see anything that would really pop out at me when testing it against the wall.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Jeez, wish I had read this thread before I bought a couple of weeks ago. First unit wouldn't focus; all other features worked, and my setup was actually in a good spot focus-wise, and it looked good. They quickly sent a replacement, which worked great the first few times I turned it on, then stopped turning on.

Maybe 3rd time will be the charm?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Amazing but atmos question...the display is incredible and quite an upgrade from my benq. Only issue is I have it connected to the hdmi 2.2 port and my
Denon 6500 hdmi arc port ....tidal says my Apple TV connected to denon 6500 to my epson 5040ub “doesn’t support atmos so tidal will play in stereo”...any ideas? My cables?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Jumped on the bandwagon :) I ordered the wireless model hoping I would get a good one and YES it looks like new with zero hours. First impression is that calibration will be required. Coming from a Sony 45es and surprisingly, I wasn't WOW'd by the picture, so hopefully some fine tuning will get me there.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts

·
Registered
8,031 Posts
Jumped on the bandwagon :) I ordered the wireless model hoping I would get a good one and YES it looks like new with zero hours. First impression is that calibration will be required. Coming from a Sony 45es and surprisingly, I wasn't WOW'd by the picture, so hopefully some fine tuning will get me there.
I got the UBE as well and mine also looked new. I wonder if it's because there are fewer of those and people don't want to spend the extra $100, so the ones that they have are in good shape.

·
Registered
829 Posts
It does seem like the UBEs have been having better results. I've been watching this thread for months and dreading the roulette wheel lol.
I looked at that settings thread and frankly, it's over my head. I'm concerned that those settings are with his Panny which I dont use. I have the ftv for streaming and the 2019 tube Shield for Kodi. The Shield looked really good but I couldn't get the ftv to display 4K, I think I know what it is and hopefully I'll get it going tonight.
Hdmi switching seems to be a little awkward. I might need a new cable.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
The Sony has slightly better native contrast, but the Epson has an iris. The iris will make itself useful at low brightness scenes.

The Sony also has better motion handling, quieter, and may be about equally sharp.

The Epson does have DCI P3 gamut coverage, is brighter (depending on how much zoom is used), can accept a 4K signal with the 10GB HDMI limitation, has HDR tone mapping. Can't remember about lens shift, but I believe the Epson is more flexible.

·
Premium Member
3,082 Posts
The Sony has slightly better native contrast, but the Epson has an iris. The iris will make itself useful at low brightness scenes.

The Sony also has better motion handling, quieter, and may be about equally sharp.

The Epson does have DCI P3 gamut coverage, is brighter (depending on how much zoom is used), can accept a 4K signal with the 10GB HDMI limitation, has HDR tone mapping. Can't remember about lens shift, but I believe the Epson is more flexible.
The 5040 has lens shift and lens memory.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I noticed the 5040ub hasnt been on sale recently and out of stock. My unit has been working perfectly, except for a flaw that i found that I never noticed before; My hdmi 1 input doesn't work. I figured this out on accident when I was swapping hdmi cables and plugged it into the other port. I bought it back in december, and i've only put abouta hundred or so hours on it and now im wondering if it worth switching it out right now or wait a little longer since most units I've read being received online have come back with alot of hours on them and my unit its on its first bulb.

Has anyone recently got good units? Has anyone by chance heard anything about them sending out 5050ub's if they are completly out of stock with 5040ub's as replacements?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I noticed the 5040ub hasnt been on sale recently and out of stock. My unit has been working perfectly, except for a flaw that i found that I never noticed before; My hdmi 1 input doesn't work. I figured this out on accident when I was swapping hdmi cables and plugged it into the other port. I bought it back in december, and i've only put abouta hundred or so hours on it and now im wondering if it worth switching it out right now or wait a little longer since most units I've read being received online have come back with alot of hours on them and my unit its on its first bulb.

Has anyone recently got good units? Has anyone by chance heard anything about them sending out 5050ub's if they are completly out of stock with 5040ub's as replacements?
I would replace. I believe only HDMI1 can do 4k60 HDR

·
Registered
10,038 Posts

If you bought it nine months ago, aren't you under warranty? If I have a port that wasn't working and was still under warranty I would very likely get it serviced.

I don't know the rules but I would be surprised if they send you a refurb, and I suspect if they send you one that had a problem, you would have an avenue to protest that. But I don't know for sure.

I also suspect, based on their track record, if they cannot repair your unit under warranty in a cost effective way, they could send you a new one (and if they don't have that older model, I understand some folks have received replacements of newer models).

But if the problem is just the HDMI port, I'm guessing they can likely replace that port and send you back you same projector.

Either way, I would post your question in the main thread instead of this special sales thread, if you are wondering how other people have been treated under warranty.

What I wouldn't do it sell a projector like you have, and buy a new one, unless I needed that particular port right now. Trying to sell a projector with a failed port, when refurbs with working ports are under $1200, would net you under $1k I would guess?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
If you bought it nine months ago, aren't you under warranty? If I have a port that wasn't working and was still under warranty I would very likely get it serviced.

I don't know the rules but I would be surprised if they send you a refurb, and I suspect if they send you one that had a problem, you would have an avenue to protest that. But I don't know for sure.

I also suspect, based on their track record, if they cannot repair your unit under warranty in a cost effective way, they could send you a new one (and if they don't have that older model, I understand some folks have received replacements of newer models).

But if the problem is just the HDMI port, I'm guessing they can likely replace that port and send you back you same projector.

Either way, I would post your question in the main thread instead of this special sales thread, if you are wondering how other people have been treated under warranty.

What I wouldn't do it sell a projector like you have, and buy a new one, unless I needed that particular port right now. Trying to sell a projector with a failed port, when refurbs with working ports are under $1200, would net you under $1k I would guess?
I had 2 projectors replaced due to dust blobs, but the one I have right now is perfect. Thankfully, Epson will ship and return ship these projectors at no cost, so overall, I'm still happy with the money I saved by buying the refurb, despite the pain of mounting/unmounting and return shipping the bad ones.

1061 - 1080 of 1091 Posts