AVS Forum banner

1081 - 1096 of 1096 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
I would replace. I believe only HDMI1 can do 4k60 HDR
I just noticed that I had replies lol, I guess my spam folder took the notifications. This projector cant do 4k60hz hdr because of the 10gb hdmi limit.

If you bought it nine months ago, aren't you under warranty? If I have a port that wasn't working and was still under warranty I would very likely get it serviced.

I don't know the rules but I would be surprised if they send you a refurb, and I suspect if they send you one that had a problem, you would have an avenue to protest that. But I don't know for sure.

I also suspect, based on their track record, if they cannot repair your unit under warranty in a cost effective way, they could send you a new one (and if they don't have that older model, I understand some folks have received replacements of newer models).

But if the problem is just the HDMI port, I'm guessing they can likely replace that port and send you back you same projector.

Either way, I would post your question in the main thread instead of this special sales thread, if you are wondering how other people have been treated under warranty.

What I wouldn't do it sell a projector like you have, and buy a new one, unless I needed that particular port right now. Trying to sell a projector with a failed port, when refurbs with working ports are under $1200, would net you under $1k I would guess?
I bought it refurbished back in december. I plan to switch it out and keep it. I dont plan to sell it. I just figure that if the port it out and the projector works otherwise maybe ill hold onto it until the warranty is more close to ending in hopes they start shipping out 5050ub replacements since the 5040ubs would probably still be out of stock. Thats why i was wondering if anyone heard anything about it yet or not. Trying to decide what to do.

I had 2 projectors replaced due to dust blobs, but the one I have right now is perfect. Thankfully, Epson will ship and return ship these projectors at no cost, so overall, I'm still happy with the money I saved by buying the refurb, despite the pain of mounting/unmounting and return shipping the bad ones.
My first one was doa and wouldnt power on, the second one was perfect 0 hours on the unit and bulb and its worked perfect ever since, it just sucks that i just now realized that hdmi 1 doesnt work and now I have to do the swap a roo again and I really dont want to get a unit that has a ton of hours, bad dust blobs ect... considering this one is perfect outside of that hdmi port. I figure if i have to go through it again maybe ill wait till the warranty is closer to expiring in hopes to get a 5050ub if they no longer have 5040ub's, but then again they still sell the 5030ub so they probably wont be doing that anytime soon.

I'm wondering if i can just force them to repair the unit unstead of swapping it out, anyone tried that?

·
Registered
Epson 5040UB projector, Denon 6300, 7.1.4 setup, M&K THX speakers and SVS subwoofer
3,164 Posts
They'll repair your unit if you request it which is a good idea if it has good convergence, etc.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I just noticed that I had replies lol, I guess my spam folder took the notifications. This projector cant do 4k60hz hdr because of the 10gb hdmi limit.

I bought it refurbished back in december. I plan to switch it out and keep it. I dont plan to sell it. I just figure that if the port it out and the projector works otherwise maybe ill hold onto it until the warranty is more close to ending in hopes they start shipping out 5050ub replacements since the 5040ubs would probably still be out of stock. Thats why i was wondering if anyone heard anything about it yet or not. Trying to decide what to do.

My first one was doa and wouldnt power on, the second one was perfect 0 hours on the unit and bulb and its worked perfect ever since, it just sucks that i just now realized that hdmi 1 doesnt work and now I have to do the swap a roo again and I really dont want to get a unit that has a ton of hours, bad dust blobs ect... considering this one is perfect outside of that hdmi port. I figure if i have to go through it again maybe ill wait till the warranty is closer to expiring in hopes to get a 5050ub if they no longer have 5040ub's, but then again they still sell the 5030ub so they probably wont be doing that anytime soon.

I'm wondering if i can just force them to repair the unit unstead of swapping it out, anyone tried that?
Sorry, what I meant is only HDMI1 can do 4k60 HDR 4:2:0 8-bit because only HDMI 1 supports HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2. However, only HDMI1 can display 4k because HDMI2 is only HDCP 1.4.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can i still wait for refurbished 5040ub? i am not sure if Epson has anymore.
Also how 2year warranty works for refurbished product ? i mean due to any problem if i get replacement projector then 2y warranty starts all over again ?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Can i still wait for refurbished 5040ub? i am not sure if Epson has anymore.
Also how 2year warranty works for refurbished product ? i mean due to any problem if i get replacement projector then 2y warranty starts all over again ?
They still become available occasionally. You just have to watch the page. The warranty works as follows, for 2-years from purchase, you can get a rapid exchange of your projector. The replacement is another refurbished unit. The warranty does not reset. It is always based on original purchase date. That is standard on pretty much all warranties.

·
Registered
3 Posts
They still become available occasionally. You just have to watch the page. The warranty works as follows, for 2-years from purchase, you can get a rapid exchange of your projector. The replacement is another refurbished unit. The warranty does not reset. It is always based on original purchase date. That is standard on pretty much all warranties.
Thank you Bill, also can you share your thoughts on 4010 compared to 5040ub, from below YouTube link 4010 looks better due to PRO-UHD though contrast is better in 5040ub (4k Enhanced).

As per Epson: Epson 4K PRO-UHD is not just a resolution specification but rather encompasses all of the factors impacting image performance, including color and white brightness, contrast, HDR10, color processing, as well as the capability of receiving, processing and projecting 4K content.

So i can get 4010 refurb at $1450 compared to 5040ub at $1150. which one to go .. any input ? thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thank you Bill, also can you share your thoughts on 4010 compared to 5040ub, from below YouTube link 4010 looks better due to PRO-UHD though contrast is better in 5040ub (4k Enhanced).

As per Epson: Epson 4K PRO-UHD is not just a resolution specification but rather encompasses all of the factors impacting image performance, including color and white brightness, contrast, HDR10, color processing, as well as the capability of receiving, processing and projecting 4K content.

So i can get 4010 refurb at $1450 compared to 5040ub at $1150. which one to go .. any input ? thanks
Epson 4010 is $1800 NEW right now. It has been going on sale for $1500 fairly often if you have time to wait. It does not get much love on here but the pro reviews are favorable.

·
Registered
11,966 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm finishing up my new Theater room (couple months away) and looking to by my first ever projector. I've pretty much settled on the Epson's because of lens memory/price range. But I can't decide between the 5040 (refurb) or 5050. The 5050 has a refurb page but has been perpetually out of stock ($2250). I guess comparing refurb prices, is the 5050 worth the additional $750? If I get my room done and it's still not available, brand new they are ~3k which is double the price of this 5040. Also some folks have had some issues with their refurb, I'm not sure if I'd have anywhere to test it out since I won't be using it for at least a couple months. Unless someone has some suggestion/tricks for that. This is a brave new world for me, but I'm trying to learn.

I'm standing on a cliff edge, I need someone to push me off or pull me back from it :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased the Epson 5040UB have 80 inch tall basement with a 150 inch screen. Any recommendations on a low profile mount that will work with the height issue I am running in to?

·
Registered
226 Posts
bummer the pricing didn't go back to 1150. I'd like to get one.

·
Registered
11,966 Posts
Nevermind 5050UB is out of stock at Dell so the $2400 deal is now over.

1081 - 1096 of 1096 Posts