AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to put the best HT system that I can cheap. I already picked up a pair of B-1's and a C-1 from A Advisor and am now looking for a receiver. I would like to keep my receiver price to around 250 bucks. Can any of you suggest anything in that price range that would work with the Athenas. I am open to ALL suggestions......Thanks

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
The pioneer avrs and yamahas pair very well with athenas. Lou

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Go for the best warranty, as well as, price for the refurbs. I like HK for the 2 years. The Onkyo 602 from J&R has 2 years as well.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
i just snagged an H/K 235 refurb from harman direct on ebay...2yr warranty, original list price $550.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a lotta looking around and saw that J&R ad for the 602 refurb for 249/w free shipping, and a 235 for a little more. I think for what I'm looking for it's down to these two. Its just a matter of getting as many pros and cons about both and going for it. If anyone can make any comments good or bad about either of these two receivers lets hear them.....and thanks again for the replies!

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Definitely go with the H/K refurbs, both for the 2 year warranty and their performance, but only if you buy them direct from H/K at harmanaudio.com or their eBay store. Some third parties may sell them but you cannot be sure of their quality or the warranty being honored.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I go with the HK I will only be buying it at the HK store. Besides the I Pod Bridge I don't see a whole lot in the spec sheets that look alot different than the 240. Is this true and I can't see any pre-outs on the 602 when looking at pictures

of it although I can live without them it would be nice for future upgrading. Does the 602 have any?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Preouts on all channels is definitely good to have, and Most H/K receivers will have them.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
I'd say go with the HK. I picked up a refurb 330 from Harman Audio off of their ebay store for $250 earlier this year.

I don't know about the Onkyo 602, but my father has the SR600. It only has crossover settings at 80, 100, and 120Hz. Speaker levels, crossover settings, etc. are global. My HK has xo settings at 40, 60, 80, 100, 120, and 200Hz, with independent speaker settings/levels per input/surround type (crossover setting is global). So in this respect, my HK is much more flexible than the SR600. Check the bass management, speaker setting features on the 602 before making a decision. The more flexibility the better.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
No pre-outs on the Onkyo. Nice receiver, but it doesn't have the guts of the 235. I think the BM is more flexible than the 600, but not as variable as the HK. I considered the 602, listened vs. the 520 which I had, wanted pre-outs. It just wasn't a big enough upgrade. Got the HK 235...big upgrade.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is really helping in my making a decision. If I go with a 235 I don't want to overlook any internet retailers that sell em refurbished, is HK Ebay and HK's web site the only two places I should think about if I want a refurb?

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Ebay or www.harmanaudio.com straight from their Phoenix distribution center. If you have any issue, they immediately swap it out on them. It's the only way I'd feel comfortable. If you bid, set a max price, somewhere south of $250. Watch til the end, if the price is right bid in the last minute. They do charge tax in some states, so with shipping you need to be careful or just buy at the $298 price.

It's more fun to bid. I've seen them go from $235 - $325(someone wasn't paying attention).

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am going with a HK 235, even in a very crowded CC store last I was able to fool around with a 140 on display in their demo room. The looks and the sound are phenomenal on these things plus I live in Northridge CA two blocks from the west coast HQ for HK, I gotta support the local economy right. Ron and everyone else thanks for your help and now its time to start bidding and looking!!!!! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.